AOD TRANSMISSION ON 89 THUNDERBIRD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 18:58   #1 (permalink)

mad AOD TRANSMISSION ON 89 THUNDERBIRD

89 t-bird, wife coming home from wally world, came in and says the cars is acting funny, so i go get in it with her and said show me whats funny, so we take off and all is normal, but then it starts slipping in overdrive, the car only has 68k mileson it, so i get it home pull the stick and there is plenty of fluid, not burnt, still red, so i get to looking and cant find anything, so i ask a buddy and he says this is a common problem with this trans, says i need to adjust the tv cable ... is this true??? or am i loosing a tranny,..it has allways short shifted if u ask me ,, but never gave us any problems,, (short shift i mean it seems to me it goes thru all the grears to soon),, so can some one out in ford land help me out please,. dont have $$$$ for a shop rigt now,, as i am still looking for work,:(,, if it needs the cable adjusted do i do it on the trans end --or-- the engine end??? any help please would help ,, thanks in advance Mike

Old 02-01-2011, 07:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: AOD TRANMISSION

Look very carefully because i do not believe that car has a T.V. cable. it's an
electronic transmission.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:15   #3 (permalink)

i thought that i read that the electronic did not come out lator than 1989,something like 1994???
Old 02-01-2011, 13:02   #4 (permalink)

Did some more checking and T bird had a cable untill 93. Your AOD is still semi electronic.
Cable is adjusted at the engine. What engine ?
Old 02-01-2011, 16:11   #5 (permalink)

3.8 ltr 1989 bird lx edition,,,,,only slipping i OD not other gears,and i know OD is the weak point in all automatics so it probally has a worn band or such,,if it can be adjusted by the cable, let me know, if i have to go inside the trans then i am lost never been inside one before,except to drop the pan for filter & fluid change.
thanks mike
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48   #6 (permalink)

think it would be ok to drive around town if kept out of OD????
Old 02-02-2011, 13:27   #7 (permalink)

Yes you can drive around without O.D. but it will suck a bit more gas. Engine RPM will
be higher and you might notice a little rise in the engine temp. Sounds like your transmission is on the way out. That is not adjusted by the cable. the problem they had
with that car is it was under powered with the 3.8. but used the same transmission that
the 4 door sedan Taurus and Sable had. The problems they had with that transmission
were addressed in late 94 early 95. They changed the high piston which would crack from aluminum to steel. A 25 dollar part but about $2000.00 to put it in. Your transmission inter changes from 89 -93 Tbird and Couger ONLY. good luck
Old 02-02-2011, 14:21   #8 (permalink)

ok thanks
mike
Old 02-02-2011, 19:03   #9 (permalink)

got to looking at it at work tonight and the ball socket that hooks the cable to the throttle body had busted into pieces and the cable was just hanging there, so a make shift bushing for now and seeme to be better at shifting any way,( all ways short shifted) into third by 25-27 mph , not doing that anymore, so think that this slipping in OD just started sunday and has not been into OD but mabe five miles or so , mabe just mabe a bottle of lucas trans fix might help,, oh well worth a shot, let u know,,
thanks for the help and input
mike
Old 02-02-2011, 20:29   #10 (permalink)

ok seems the cable fixed it and i caught it in time,whew, had a few more hours at work tonight ,so i took it for a spin and it is shifting much better , 1st 2nd 3rd , like it should, so went to the parts store and got some lucas trans fix, went back to the shop , used the oil test anaylist pump and took out three qts of oil and put the lucas and two more qts atf back in and presto it is not slipping any more , now if it will just stay that way,.we will see

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum