Auto Windows Aren't In My'91 T-Bird - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 17:01   #1 (permalink)

Auto Windows Aren't In My'91 T-Bird

I have the door panel off and can see the unit. When the switch is depressed the motor runs in either direction but the window remains stationary. It seems to me that there must be a gear that has failed between the motor and the regulator assembly. If this is so...what is the fix? Can I separate the motor from the regulator and replace the connector? I don't have a shop manual, just a Haynes...which is less than helpful. I've read the how to remove the motor on AutoZone but they say nothing about the problem I'm having.
I'm a competent shade-tree and just need pointing in the right direction, before I start removing the motor.

Thanks for any help you all can give me!
webbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
T-bird Circle Track Racer

Re: Auto Windows Aren't In My'91 T-Bird

Hello

Try super coupe performance. They have Regulator repair kits $30.00

Paul
1990 Thunderbird Factory stock Circle Track Car #12
351W C4 3.90 open gear.
See my car at:www.tessier-racing.com
tbirdtess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 19:54   #3 (permalink)

Wow! Thanks for that tip. I just reviewed the regulator rebuild instructions and I'm sure that's my problem. I'll be ordering that kit tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:39   #4 (permalink)

I ended up getting the rebuild kit from my local NAPA.
The Dorman part numbers are as follows:

Rebuild kit 74409 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury 2006-89. 62 Teeth Either Side.

Whole motor assembly Left Side 742-250 1998-65 Various Models

Whole motor assembly Right Side 742-251 1998-65 Various Models

Here are the rebuilding instructions from Super Coupe Performance.

Super Coupe Performance window regulator rebuild kit.
Old 10-08-2007, 16:27   #5 (permalink)

Re: Auto Windows Aren't In My '91 T-Bird

The NAPA part number for the 62 teeth window regulator gear and the 3 small buttons is 655-1502, no grease packs come with it. It fits T-Birds from 89-97. I used some synthetic grease I had from other stuff to grease it with.

It's quite an easy job to remove the door skin and the switches, etc. I cut the inner-liner with scissors and taped the cuts up when I was ready to put the inner door trim back on, instead of removing the whole inner-liner. Motor comes out by removing 3 bolts. The hardest part of the job is cleaning it up and getting all the plastic shards out. I got it all together and it works just like new. If you have a window problem don't be afraid to tear into it as it is very simple to either rebuild or replace the regulator/motor unit. Takes about 2 hours if you haven't done it before, or at least it did for me.

Thanks to tbirdtess for the tip. It was what made this job so easy. The procedure should be in the Haynes Manual...but it's not. Thanks also to Super Coupe Performance for the excellent instructions they have posted on their site. I would buy from them, but didn't, only because I could get the parts locally. Locally availability is always my first choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum