egr valve - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 17:16   #1 (permalink)
Respect is earned.

egr valve

Hey all,

I'm not new to forum life and definetly have owned my fair share of beautiful cars. I am new to this forum though. Now for the unfortunate truth. Wife got laid off as of a month ago. have savings to stave off complete hell on earth. I got rid of both of our new cars a 2007 ford 500 sel, and my beloved charger. We all know you live in your house, not your cars. I bought a 2000 ford explorer limited 4 wheel drive for the wife. Now to the problem. I have always liked the 93 thru 97 birds. I found a 93 lx 3.8 with 55000 on the clock. a/c was inop. so had the system converted to r-34 and a new condenser and compressor put in at a cost of 1000.00 bucks, then had her old walking shoes replaced with some nice running shoes at a cost of 600.00. rims that came with the car are 18's and rubber is now 245/45/18. rear brakes were leaking fluid so rear drums fixed and re-paded. found the egr valve is gone and all lines associated with egrv are gone. hence the check engine light is on. codes read are all egr and mass air. i already replaced maf. waiting on my mechanic to get the parts for egrv. Now most work i can do for myself. was not going to attempt a/c or rear drums. car also had roof repainted due to the famus ford paint sun fade. beautiful job car looks great and should run even better one egrv is put back on. i was wrenching on car while changing oil and rear dif fluid and found that the car has a cap of some sort over were egrv would normally go. so the car runs rough. oh and can't forget about the replacement of stock 17 y/o shocks and struts. she now gas kyb stuts up front and kyb rear. oh cost on them was 652 otd. wow she really does handle. different from my charger is speed and general driving. the t-bird was always a great touring car. My charger, just big heavy and fairly quick as cars go. she was probably a 14.6 or 7 quater mile runner. the t-bird maybe a 16.5 to 16.8 quarter car on a good day.. I just wanted to know if the missing egrv would cause rough idle. Sorryu for the long intro. and thanks for all help and feed back in advance.
birdmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 17:25   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: egr valve

The EGR plugged at the exhaust side won't cause rough idle. If the other side to the intake is leaking, it will cause a rough idle. If it's plugged good, it won't cause a rough idle. You can check for codes like this website mentions. Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test
Old 08-25-2010, 18:21   #3 (permalink)
Respect is earned.

Yeah i hear you sir,

problem is the tube off the exhaust is crimped and bent. The cap on the intake plenum is leaking and all other equipment pertaining to egrv is gone. Even the sensor is missing. So this leak is a probable cause then? I want the the bird back to stock. The rims i lve so i will keep that part of the car not stock. I hate mil lamps on. Its just plain annoying.
Old 08-25-2010, 18:55   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Welcome birdmedic!

The missing egr components and plenum leak are definitely causing your issue. I am willing to bet that the egr delete was improperly done. From what I have heard, when a person deletes EGR components, this has to be compensated for in the car's computer tune.
Old 09-08-2010, 17:59   #5 (permalink)
Respect is earned.

any other takers on the case of missing and fubared egr. I need to get this thing replaced. I also need to get the heater on the car fixed. I am not removing the dash on my own. I wonder how much a qualified mechanic will charge me to fix it. P.S. just got new shocks and struts. KYB al the way around. wow she really does not do to bad in the grip department. Then agian having 245/45R18 don't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum