Electric Issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 07:15   #1 (permalink)

Electric Issue

96 T-bird. Just bought it a couple weeks ago. The following do not work - dome light, map lights, door chime (lights left on or key left in), door unlock (doors will lock, but not unlock with door panal button or remote), none of the warning lights come on at start up. Everything else electricle seems to be fine. I have checked all fuses. Is there a fusable link somewhere that could be out? I have a manaul ordered, but my experiance is that they don't give much info in this area.

My buddy has a 4 or 5 year old Focus with same issues.

Also, the other night I shut the car off and the electric door locks started to cycle all on their own. When I pushed the unlock button, the headlights came on. I finally stopped it by restarting the car and shutting it back off. Again, my buddies Focus did this a few years ago, and I also had a 99 Mustang that did this one time, and an 02 Windstar that it happened with a few times.

All related to each other somehow? Common Ford issue or am I just lucky....
iceberg74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 08:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: Electric Issue

That is all related through the B.C.M. Does it have an anti theft control also ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42   #3 (permalink)

B.C.M - Something Control Module?

It has the alarm / panic button on the key fob, but this is an after market fob tied in with the remote start. Ignition key looks the old 'normal' key. I did accidently get the alarm to go off the other day - not the normal horn sound I have on other frods It keept changing sounds, so I'm guessing it's all aftermarket? That happened when I hit the single 'star' button on the fob instead of the trunk release. Alarm was going, then the car started, but I was unable to shut it off or put in gear, so I walked away and went about my business...... Soon the car quit (must be tied into the water temp to shut down at a certain temp) After I played around awhile (no book on how this remote start works) I think I got it figured out......

Don't know if there is the flashing anti-theft light in the dash, as the only warning light that works is the check engine. I got the code (P0174) and assume it is a seperate issue to be dealt with later.

Thanks
Roger
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00   #4 (permalink)

You will have to deal with this as two separate problems. Disable the anti theft or rip it
out then repair the " Something Control Module. ( body control module ). Then replace the anti theft if you want and then fix that. You have two systems fighting with each other. You will have yourself committed before you get this fixed if you don't.
My sympathy goes out to you. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:30   #5 (permalink)

Update - Got my manual the other day. Not a word in there about the BCM. I was shocked..... Where is this located?

Also, a few days ago, I was loading some stuff into the trunk. Key in ignition, trunk and driver door open. Engine not running. I noticed the chime sounding. Further investigation revealed everything else (mirrors, locks, lights) all were working. Still more playing around, and figured out this stuff only worked with a door open, either driver or passanger (trunk had no effect). Then it all quit again. (at least I was able to get the mirrros adjusted).

I'm thinking maybe some bad / dirty connections or ground at the BCM?

Haven't had time to look into yet, but would like to at least have some direction when I do get it in the garage.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 08:12   #6 (permalink)

If things work when the door is open there are wires broken in the door harness as it
enters the A piller. Cut open the rubber cover and start looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum