Electrical Issue Pls Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45   #1 (permalink)

Electrical Issue Pls Help

Hi Guys,

I have a 1990 Thunderbird SC, and I noticed when my power seats stopped working it must be a fuse? Well when I pulled the fuse I noticed that where the number 20 fuse goes it was melted? My question is do I need to replace the whole auxilary fuse block? I will upload pics.. I did not replace the fuse in fear of causing more damage.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0110.jpg (54.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-0111.jpg (52.6 KB, 4 views)
boogiedown27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 14:25   #2 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Re: Electrical Issue Pls Help

before i replace the whole block, i would look at the backside of it to see if any wires are touching. If they are, then replace it, if not, then put another fuse in and see what happens.
Old 12-06-2009, 14:38   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Being burnt like that, the connections will make a very poor connection. The arcing and heat changed the contacts. If you don't want to replace the fusebox, you could remove the wires from the rear and solder in an inline fuse holder. That's the same thing that happens to blower motor resistors. The connector is usuall changed sooner or later.
Old 12-06-2009, 15:36   #4 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Also, i forgot, make sure the correct amp fuse is being used. It sounds like a bigger amperage fuse was used. usually thats how they melt, to much juice is being let through causing it to overheat until the fuse blows.
Old 12-06-2009, 21:34   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. I will try that. Now quick question one of the metal clips inside of the melted fuse slot came out. Would it still work if I tried to place a new fuse inside? Also is it pretty easy to remove that fuse box? I have never done this before and I wanted to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start tinkering with it. Thanks again for the help
Old 12-06-2009, 21:36   #6 (permalink)

Oh I forgot to mention I looked in the Cheltons book just to check the fuse amperage and If I was reading the correct diagram it said that a #20 fuse does go there. Is there a way I can double check this? If so where would I find that info on the net to make sure that I am using the correct fuse amperage.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 22:02   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

This is what Autozone shows.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52   #8 (permalink)

Kind of off topic but, boogie where are u located ?

I have an 89 thunderbird sc in Sumter, SC

Go to sccoa.com for tons of info on your sc. that's where the experts are. Post this thread there too.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. I am in Colorado, I did post the topic there as well. So far no response plenty of reviews on the topic but no one has chimed in yet. Also will this work I saw a painless wiring kit online. I am guessing that I can use this to replace the bad fuse area on the auxiliary fuse block?

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prf-30002.jpg (15.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-07-2009, 23:04   #10 (permalink)

I just compared the schematic of my auxiliary fuse block. I found the culprit. There was suppose to be a 15A fuse there instead of a 20A fuse. I never knew this when I purchased the car. It never crossed my mind to check. Now here is the confusing part in all of this. The slot that is now melted shows that fuse controlled (HEGO) Heated Exhuast Gas Oxygen. From what I have read this can effect the O2 sensors? So would it be safe to still use the painless wiring kit to fix this? Sorry for the mix up earlier as you can tell I am new to this.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum