Engine hesitiation/jerking on '97 T-Bird LX - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 16:41   #1 (permalink)

Engine hesitiation/jerking on '97 T-Bird LX

Hey guys, this post is gonna be kind of long, just so I can explain the problem as best I can. You may wanna grab a snack or a beverage.
Anyway, the problem that I'm having is that when you do a hard acceleration on the car, the engine jerks/bucks and hesitates (to see exactly what I mean,
). A few different mechanics had suggested that I try changing the fuel filter, and one such mechanic test drove it and said it felt exactly as though it was a bad filter. So I recently replaced that, and it made a difference for all of 10 minutes, and then the car was back to its old game. This problem only happens when the car is in motion and you're really pressing down on the accelerator. By the time you reach about 45-50 mph, the jerking/hesitation subsides a bit. It still happens, but it's noticeably less intense, than when you're first picking up speed. The car has no (noticeable) problems when it idles or when you rev it. I thought maybe it was a possible transmission issue, but it shifts fine when you ease on the gas, and get up to speed gradually. As you can imagine, consistently driving like that is a you-know-what, especially when trying to merge on the freeway.

Anyway, the other night on my way home, my Check Engine light came on. So the following morning I took it to AutoZone to get a diagnostic. The code it brought up was P1443, and this is what the diagnostic slip had to say:

"*Definition*
EVAP canister purge valve mechanical fault or VMV fault condition
*Explanation*
ECM detected a fuel tank pressure change greater than a minus 7 inches of H20 in 30 seconds with purge less than 0.02 lbs. per minute
*Probable cause*
1. - Failed EVAP pressure sensor
2. - Blocked hose between purge valve and FTP sensor
3.- EVAP purge valve stuck closed"

I have no idea what any of this means. The guy at Auto Zone also mentioned something about a vacuum hose leak. And one other mechanic that I talked to, said that the problem could be a clogged catalytic converter. Has anyone ever had an issue like this before? Any explanations would be appreciated. And again, I apologize for the long post. There's also another issue I'm having, but I want to get some possible answers on this one first. Thanks in advance!
SoulSinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Engine hesitiation/jerking on '97 T-Bird LX

Was the original fuel filter plugged? Could you blow through it easily? If it was plugged, there may be debris in the tank that plugged the new filter.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:26   #3 (permalink)

I honestly have no idea. The thought never occurred to me to keep the old filter. A few weeks prior to changing the filter, I put some Seafoam in the tank to see if that would've made a difference. It seemed like it did a little. Should I try that again?
SoulSinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 17:32   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd pull the filter and see if it's plugged.
Old 02-24-2012, 22:05   #5 (permalink)
Dark Lord of the T-bird

i agree with bert on this. i would also suggest putting some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank next time you fill up as i had a similar problem but not as bad it turned out that after 19 years the previous owner never changed the fuel filter. O_o i changed it and put some lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank at the next fill up and it fixed it right away. my guess is that you might have some gunk on you fuel injectors as well it might be worth it to spend $5.00 on the injector cleaner to get rid of any of the smaller particles that escaped the filter.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum