Engine problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 20:08   #1 (permalink)

Question Engine problems

Hello all, first post on this site. I like it already. But down to business. I recently purchased a '95 Ford Thunderbird off the street. Car is in terrible condition, and I'm trying to fix her up. The biggest issue that I'm having right now is this. Once started and warmed up, the car idles fine. Once I step on the gas (gear does not matter, park, neutral, drive, or reverse bears same response) the car stalls. The only way to actually get the motor to go above idle is by "feathering" the gas pedal. In that I tap on the gas pedal a couple times before actually putting my foot into it. The car has no problem raising it's RPM if I hold it at 1,200 RPM, but once it hits idle, the problem returns. I've replace the fuel filter and the spark plugs (and wires), which did solve a problem of the motor stalling after about 30 seconds of running, but it did not solve this one.

I've heard from a couple of people that the mass air flow meter may be the culprit, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I drop $130 to replace it. Thank you for your time! I'd love to get this thing soon!
Tripzmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 20:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine problems

Forgot to mention the motor is the 4.6 V8. Sorry!
Tripzmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 20:35   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd say to clean the throttle body and IAC valve. Also, get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF. See what it does after doing that.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37   #4 (permalink)

If you can keep your car running long enough take it to a shop that has the tools,testers, and knowledge to run a complete scan and go over the entire engine.
You will spend $130.00 on the MAF and not fix it. That $130.00 will probably be less than what it would cost for the scan and you will know what to fix. That engine is
famous for bad and leaking intake manifolds and that is probably your problem. If that
manifold is leaking you could spend thousands of dollars on parts and not fix it. That could be the reason you got that car. It doesn't run. You now have a third opinion.
Good luck and Merry Christmas.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 16:14   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
If you can keep your car running long enough take it to a shop that has the tools,testers, and knowledge to run a complete scan and go over the entire engine.
You will spend $130.00 on the MAF and not fix it. That $130.00 will probably be less than what it would cost for the scan and you will know what to fix. That engine is
famous for bad and leaking intake manifolds and that is probably your problem. If that
manifold is leaking you could spend thousands of dollars on parts and not fix it. That could be the reason you got that car. It doesn't run. You now have a third opinion.
Good luck and Merry Christmas.

I second this thought since it's a plastic intake....ford and their wisdom
I'd spend the money you have to buy the MAF and scan car instead. You will get further with less money.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum