Fifty Years Of Ford Thunderbird - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 22:53   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Fifty Years Of Ford Thunderbird

Ford Thunderbird, a true American icon, celebrates its golden Anniversary with a special 50th Anniversary Thunderbird, limited-edition colors, and commemorative badge for all 2005 models. The 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Thunderbird will be unveiled to media attending the South Florida International Auto Show in Miami, FL.

Production of this special edition model with exclusive Cashmere color, which begins in January 2005, will be limited to 1,500 units.

"The 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Thunderbird builds upon the car's rich heritage - which began with the classic, two-seater 1955 model," said Steve Lyons, president of Ford Division. "This special edition adds to the emotional attachment that America has with Thunderbird, an attachment that has been 50 years in the making."

In addition to the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition, Ford is unveiling two surprise colors available on upcoming 2005 Thunderbirds: Inca Gold and Bronze. For 2005, all Thunderbirds feature a 50th Anniversary commemorative fender chevron.

Based on the top-of-the-line Thunderbird premium, the commemorative 50th Anniversary Thunderbird features a gorgeous Cashmere tri-coat metallic paint with matching removable top and Medium Light Stone cloth convertible top and soft boot. 16-spoke, 17-inch wheels with Cashmere accented hub ring match the Cashmere paint.

New coordinated Cashmere, Stone and Soft Gold interior packages include full leather Cashmere seats, and Cashmere trimmed lower instrument panel, floor console and door armrests. An understated Soft Gold tinted 50th Anniversary badge will be placed on the instrument panel, and 50th Anniversary insignias are embossed on the seatbacks. The scuff plates also are tinted Soft Gold. Each vehicle will feature a numbered commemorative plaque mounted on the inside of the glove box. The steering wheel and shift knob will be trimmed with high gloss Cashmere accents. Stone colored carpets with matching floor mats complete the interior.

"The 50th Anniversary special edition is very elegant and emphasizes the calm, cool and collectible nature that is Thunderbird," said Lyons.

Thunderbird Enthusiasts 'Drive-in' to Celebrate
Thunderbird enthusiasts will kick-off the Thunderbird's 50th birthday celebration at Homestead Miami Speedway on Nov. 17 in conjunction with a Ford Racing Innovation Drive. The Ford Racing Innovation Drive has been reaching consumers nationwide during a tour that features Ford's spectacular new 2005 model year vehicle line-up. Consumers as well as Thunderbird enthusiasts have been invited to attend the drive as it comes to Miami this November. After Thunderbird enthusiasts enjoy the hands-on experience of Ford's new product they will then be directed to the raceway's infield for a private Thunderbird Anniversary party.

Reflecting on 50 years of heritage for the Thunderbird, club members from across the country will enjoy a trip back to the boppin' fifties with the spirit of the classic hamburger stand and drive-in movie theater. Ford, will construct a unique drive-in theater at the race track and show one of the most famous movies to star the Ford Thunderbird - American Graffiti.

The 2005 Ford Thunderbird will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $37,605 and the special edition 50th Anniversary Thunderbird of $43,535, both without destination and delivery charges.

Ford Thunderbird went on sale Oct. 22, 1954 marking the birth of a new legend that would grow with each generation of Thunderbird cars. Previous special-edition Thunderbirds have proven highly desirable. In 2002, Ford offered 200 special-edition Thunderbird vehicles for sale through the exclusive Neiman Marcus Christmas Book. Those 200 cars sold out in two hours and 15 minutes and are considered highly prized collector's items.

In the spring of 2003, Ford sold 700 limited edition "007" Ford Thunderbirds to commemorate the first appearance of a Thunderbird in the 40-year history of the James Bond film franchise. A "007" Edition was driven in the Bond film Die Another Day by Academy Award-winning actress Halle Berry. One thousand Pacific Coast Roadster Thunderbirds were sold in 2004.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 04:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fifty Years Of Ford Thunderbird

Of all these, any favourites?

I was on Rodeo Drive and followed a new T'bird—which had been on the market for about a year at that point. Everyone still turned their heads when it went by. No one would turn their heads for Merc convertibles or even a brand-new Nissan 350Z convertible. These babies still have cred.

IMO I liked the originals, the latest ones, plus the first aero 'Birds for '83. When I was a kid I loved them all—even the 1980s when they first came out.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:31   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Yan
Of all these, any favourites?

I was on Rodeo Drive and followed a new T'bird—which had been on the market for about a year at that point. Everyone still turned their heads when it went by. No one would turn their heads for Merc convertibles or even a brand-new Nissan 350Z convertible. These babies still have cred.

IMO I liked the originals, the latest ones, plus the first aero 'Birds for '83. When I was a kid I loved them all—even the 1980s when they first came out.
Do you own/have owned/or maybe hope or intend to own any old Ford or Fords yourself Jack???Is there much to chose from over there and how are the prices???I think you have both Australian and US Based Fords over there,True???I saw a Picture of an Australian HQ Holden Statesman that was taken in New-Zealand a few Years ago and it was Badged as a Chevrolet and apparently sold over there through Chevrolet Dealers???Don't care much for Holden's,but found this mildly amusing...Thanx Jack!!!
bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 15:12   #4 (permalink)

Caught your PM, Bradford (did you get my reply? Not sure how these things work sometimes)—but for the public: my family was pretty much a Ford one. Dad had a Sierra, my uncles were driving Transits, Falcons, Cortinas and one Zephyr V6. But here in New Zealand, there weren't many Fords I liked during the Laser and Telstar years, and the ones that I did were rip-offs (NZ$95,000 for a Mustang Cobra Convertible!). So I bought European brands like Opel, Renault and Citroën.

Still, I am a big Ford customer through Hertz (Falcon, Mondeo, Mustang) and have a good relationship with Ford itself—they occasionally loan me cars and we had a lovely Territory TX AWD for five days last year as part of the launch. I travel a bit which is how I get to sample different Ford cars.

Not many Yank Fords here other than the Taurus (before we laughed it back to America), Explorer (popular but the Toorak Tractor is taking over) and the F-series.

Prices, at a guess, are probably about 20 per cent higher than Australia, though we get the Mondeo at a very good price over here (I know Australians hated it, but Kiwis love their mid-sized cars).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum