Idling way to HIGH....Help please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 12:08   #1 (permalink)

Idling way to HIGH....Help please!

I’m New to this forum. Not new to car’s though. We have recently had a problem with our 92 Ford Thunderbird 5.0 V-8. On my wife’s way home the car began idling between 2300 – 2800. She got the car home, and my first thoughts were a vacuum leak. I used a can of carb cleaner and sprayed liberally all over vacuum lines, intake and the manifold, throttle body etc. I found nothing. I noticed that the exhaust manifolds were turning cherry red with in 3 – 5 min’s. Which again could be due to a lean situation due to un-metered air . Since I found no vacuum leak, I am beginning to think that maybe the timing had jumped. My next question is checking timing. Where is the spout in connector? If anyone has any suggestions please help me out with this.
Thanks,
~Rich
dadstoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Idling way to HIGH....Help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoys2
I’m New to this forum. Not new to car’s though. We have recently had a problem with our 92 Ford Thunderbird 5.0 V-8. On my wife’s way home the car began idling between 2300 – 2800 rpm. She got the car home, and my first thoughts were a vacuum leak. I used a can of carb cleaner and sprayed liberally all over vacuum lines, intake and the manifold, throttle body etc. I found nothing. I noticed that the exhaust manifolds were turning cherry red with in 3 – 5 min’s. Which again could be due to a lean situation due to un-metered air . Since I found no vacuum leak, I am beginning to think that maybe the timing had jumped. My next question is checking timing. Where is the spout in connector? If anyone has any suggestions please help me out with this.
Thanks,
~Rich
Should be right near the distributor, possibly taped over slightly.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 21:44   #3 (permalink)

Re: Idling way to HIGH....Help please!

Does it run to the distributor, single wire? Can you give me a little more info on this?
Thanks,
~Rich
Old 08-21-2007, 17:50   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Idling way to HIGH....Help please!

Quote:
Does it run to the distributor, single wire? Can you give me a little more info on this?
Thanks,
~Rich
OK, I looked it up and it may be placed near the ignition module, which is on the radiator support on the R. hand side. It is a pair of yellow/light green wires going into a plastic shorting bar-this is the SPOUT connector. It runs from the Ignition module to the PCM.
Old 08-21-2007, 22:32   #5 (permalink)

I found something that fits the description near the firewall on the pass side. Is that possibly it?
Next problem is ...how do I check the timing when the idle is about 2000rpm?
Does anyone know how to pull up codes without a scanner? Some fords that I have worked on will allow you to use a jumper wire between terminal on the ecu test connector. Does anyone know anything on these? I do not have a check engine light coming on at all but that does not mean that the computer is not gonna tell me anything.
I really need some ideas here.
Thanks,
~Rich
Old 08-22-2007, 18:48   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Idling way to HIGH....Help please!

Quote:
I found something that fits the description near the firewall on the pass side. Is that possibly it?
Next problem is ...how do I check the timing when the idle is about 2000rpm?
Does anyone know how to pull up codes without a scanner? Some fords that I have worked on will allow you to use a jumper wire between terminal on the ecu test connector. Does anyone know anything on these? I do not have a check engine light coming on at all but that does not mean that the computer is not gonna tell me anything.
I really need some ideas here.
Thanks,
~Rich
Does it have a pair of yellow/light green wires going to it??? Something I just thought of, make sure the cruise control isn't pulling the throttle open. If the throttle body is fairly clean try disconnecting the IAC and see what it does.
Old 08-22-2007, 23:38   #7 (permalink)

Well I did pull the plug on it and did not get a change in idle at all. That could be a possibility. Surging idle is usually a sign that they are bad, but it could stick open. I wonder if that could really cause the manifold to get cherry red though, because that air would be metered I think and should not cause this(what I am thinking might be causing it to run lean). But it is sure worth a try. At nothing else I will eliminate this as a cause. I will try it in the morning.
Wouldn't this cause the check engine light to come on though?
Thanks for the info
~Rich
Old 08-23-2007, 22:11   #8 (permalink)

A big thanks to tbird100636 . As it turns out it was the IAC motor that was not funtioning properly. Definetly made sense, but it was just one of those thing's that I was not able to test to see if it was bad or not. Spent the $60.00 for the IAC, and sure enough that is what it was. Thanks for your time and input it is greatly appreciated.
~Rich & Steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum