manual trans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Question manual trans

Id like to put a manual trans in my car. Not sure what will fit, id like a 6 speed, but im not sure they have them for my car. So a 5 speed will be fine. What will fit? Will i need to change anything?
Im just brainstorming right now, but im sure i have enough $$$ to get it done tho.

I know all about bellhousings and driveshafts.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 08:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: manual trans

90 - 93 thunderbird only will fit that car. You can make anything fit anything if you have
lots of money and time. You are going to have to change the computer and the entire
engine harness. Do you have enough room under the dash for the clutch peddles and
support brackets ? Do you have enough room under the frame for the clutch master cylinder and the lines ? You will then have to recalibrate your speedometer. Do you have
enough room for the shifter ? J.M.O. but i'd quit waisting time on that thing and buy a
Super Coupe. It comes with everthing you want, ready to drive. Your trying to turn it
into one anyway. Forgot one thing. The gearing in the diff. for the standard and auto.
are different and the drive shaft is different. It'll work if you have lots of money.
Good Luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00   #3 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

yes yes yes and yes, didnt know i had to recalibrate the speedo tho. Room for the shifter is what im worried about. I can get a manual trans for $55(used 5speed)Not sure how much a computer is tho.
Old 11-02-2009, 16:00   #4 (permalink)

What kind of transmission can you get ? MT5 or T5 ? If it's a T5 you had better rebuild
it with a new cluster gear and input shaft. That is the weakest part of those transmissions. I've got 5 of them and none are worth rebuilding. Garbage. The kid couldn't keep his foot off the gas. For your time and what you are going to spend i'd
suggest rebuilding your automatic with a high stall converter and not just a shift kit either. I mean proper performance parts. A shift kit without the proper rebuild will
grenade your transmission very shortly. A properly rebuilt automatic will preform as good
as a standard. Get a larger oil pan for the automatic and a large oil cooler. The cooler the oil the longer it will last. No offence but i think your trying to reinvent the wheel.
Your going to open a can of worms. I've seen many convertions and they never run
right or do what you think they should do. Not in todays cars anyway. Do what you think is best. I'll try to help best i can. Good luck. Sorry. I forgot. The T5 will not fit.
It's a 5 LT. mustang transmission. Disregard that comment. Sorry.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:51   #5 (permalink)

A t5 is too short for a tbird.

An m5r2 from a tbird super coupe would be the easiest. U still need the tranny, driveshaft, computer, electrical harness, clutch, master and slave cylinders.

I'm prolly missing stuff but those are the big parts.
boostedbird38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 23:09   #6 (permalink)

Find an SC 5 spd doner car to get the trans and harness, shifter,brake/clutch pedals, Master cyl (Hyd clutch) and slave cyl hose, grab the ECU from it also. Need to mod the neutral start circuit (get a set of 'big sheets" wiring diagram avail from Helminc.com New console top.
If you want a 6 spd, you need an LS1 T56 from a 98-02 Camaro.
I am doing the T56 swap in my '93 SC (it was a 5 spd originally)
Check out my info over on SCCOA.COM T56 Install - Super Coupe Club of America Forums
There are part #s there also along with pics.
The swap is not for the timid.
Good luck should you accept this mission.
MikeH
talonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 23:12   #7 (permalink)

.....speedo cal can be handled with new gear. If you go for the big 6, if you are not going with a aftermarket tune which can be made to use the newer speedo signal. Or go with a Dakota Digital SG5.
MikeH
talonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum