misfire on downshift? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 12:47   #1 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

misfire on downshift?

If im just cruising along, slowing down, the transmission downshifts on its own as it should. But when it downshifts on its own, the whole car jerks pretty hard like its having a hard time downshifting. But if im driving and i push the gas harder to make it downshift, it doesnt jerk at all. It first started this when i first got the car about a year ago. I changed the plugs (correct gaping) wires are not crossed. What could be wrong?

No codes came up.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 16:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: misfire on downshift?

You have a transmission problem
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 17:48   #3 (permalink)

i bet if you took the pan off there will be a bunch of metal shavings in it.

sounds like the fluid isnt flowing very well

might as well start looking at a new tranny. if you change the fluid and filter the transmission will most likely start slipping.
Old 11-15-2009, 19:24   #4 (permalink)

Thats what i was afraid of. I guess that when i put new plugs in, the renewed hp put to much strain on the trans? Since im going to need a new one. what would you recommend?

P.S. no manual...my girlfriend cant drive a 5speed Is there and AOD-E or a 4R70W that will directly fit?
Old 11-15-2009, 20:34   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker_king View Post
Thats what i was afraid of. I guess that when i put new plugs in, the renewed hp put to much strain on the trans? Since im going to need a new one. what would you recommend?

P.S. no manual...my girlfriend cant drive a 5speed Is there and AOD-E or a 4R70W that will directly fit?
I'm sure the spark plugs didn't create enough power to kill the tranny. I'm sure it was just age.

I'm pretty sure the aod-e and a 4r70w are the same thing. U would a whole wire harness and a new ecu for that swap.

I would find a used aod and have a good tranny shop check it out. And possibly put a good shift kit in.
Old 11-16-2009, 23:17   #6 (permalink)

I was just pointing out that when i got it, it looked like it had never had a tuneup. And the first thing i did was put a new more powerful than OEM ignition system. And did nothing to the trans. Anyway...........

I was asking about the 4R70W because i cant find anymore 98-93 tbirds at the salvage yard. The 94-97 had that trans in it. But i can deal with buying an ECU and harness.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker_king View Post
I was just pointing out that when i got it, it looked like it had never had a tuneup. And the first thing i did was put a new more powerful than OEM ignition system. And did nothing to the trans. Anyway...........

I was asking about the 4R70W because i cant find anymore 98-93 tbirds at the salvage yard. The 94-97 had that trans in it. But i can deal with buying an ECU and harness.
Even MSD ignition systems, which in my opinion are the best, don't give hp claims from their products. That's why I disagreed with you earlier.

If all u can get is a 4r70w then better start gathering parts.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:43   #8 (permalink)

When i changed the oil, it was the original oil filter, and the oil was so thin it was like water, i didnt even need to wash my hands. But tomorrow im off to the salvage yard to see what i can find. Do you think a trans from my car will fit into the trunk? And where is the ecu located on my car and a newer one?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:53   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It should fit in your trunk. Try a search here:
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 15:28   #10 (permalink)

yea the tranny will fit in the trunk. (if you dont hvae 4 12's in it)

all tbird ecu's are located behind the passenger side kick panel, below and to the right of the glove box.

might wanna check driveshaft length of the 2 transmissions also. just to be suire
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum