new 1963 t-bird...got some questions. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 23:06   #1 (permalink)

new 1963 t-bird...got some questions.

my grandma just gave it to me...25,000 miles on it, power windows on the right side work but dont on the left...ideas? also the headlights work but the gauge lights dont... im not used to working on older cars so any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
Twister773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 17:59   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: New 1963 T-Bird...got some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773
My Grandma just gave it to me...25,000 miles on it, power windows on the right side work but don't on the left...ideas? Also the headlights work but the gauge lights don't... I'm not used to working on older cars so any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Could be either bad switches or bad regulator motors. Pull the door and quarter trim panels. using a test light hooked to ground, operate the switches in the up and down positions. Light should light up in one direction on each pin. Hook the test light to power and repeat the process. Light should light up in one dirrection on each wire. If the test light lights up all 4 times, you have a bad motor. If it doesn't, you have a bad switch. The switches and the motors are available through T-Bird restoration parts suppliers. A quick and easy final check for the switches is to plug the good R. side switches into the left side connectors. If the left side windows now work then this is proof the switches are bad. If they still don't work then you have further wiring problems, which is not very likely. As far as the dash lights, you either have a blown fuse or a bad headlight switch. The headlight switch is also available form T-Bird resto parts suppliers. Here are a few web sites for them:
Pat Wilson's Thunderbird Parts
Ford Thunderbird Parts - Bird Nest 1958-66
Thunderbird Headquarters Ford Thunderbird Parts
T-Birds by Nick: Your San Fernando Valley source for Thunderbirds!
Concours Parts - Ford Restoration Parts
MAC?s: Dealer of Restoration Parts for Classic, Antique, Vintage Ford Autos, Cars & Trucks: Street Rod Parts, Vintage/Classic Ford Manuals & much more!
Larry's Mustang & Thunderbird
Ford Falcon - Thunderbird Parts - Fairlane Parts - Comet Parts
Good Luck, and don't give this car away or even think of selling it, it is a gem like all T-Birds... especially with only 25,000 mi.
PS---Which body do you have- a hardtop? A Landau hardtop? (A hardtop with a vinyl roof with S-bars on the sides and wood grain interior.) A convertible? A Sports Roadster? (Convertible with a tonneau cover, wire wheels, emblems on front fenders, grab bar on pass. side dash) If a Landau is it interior trim code 83? Does it have engine code Z or M? (Fifth digit of VIN #) What color is it?
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 20:45   #3 (permalink)

Re: new 1963 t-bird...got some questions.

is there more than one fuse panel in these things....i have found the one on the passenger side on the ground... also it is a hardtop, fifth letter is a z body type on the pink says sed83....where can i find out how to take things apart...for example i need to get the window motor out of the back...how do i get to it...also how do i take the back seats out. thanks again i am really looking forward to restoring this bird!
Old 06-02-2007, 22:18   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: new 1963 t-bird...got some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773
Is there more than one fuse panel in these things? I have found the one on the passenger side on the ground... also it is a hardtop, fifth letter is a Z body type on the pink says sed83....where can I find out how to take things apart...for example I need to get the window motor out of the back...how do I get to it...also how do I take the back seats out. Thanks again I am really looking forward to restoring this Bird!
That's the only fuse panel. The 1963 shop manual is only a supplement, so you have to buy the 1962 shop manual to get the rest of the info. Any one of those T-Bird parts links will sell these manuals. Good Luck!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 23:45   #5 (permalink)

will the shop manual tell me how to take off all the pieces...seats, door panels, etc thanks again for everything so far...i will try and post up some pics next week
Old 06-05-2007, 17:40   #6 (permalink)

Depends on the manual that your dealer provided. I have seen a repair manual in a local store that details the procedure on attaching and detaching Ford Thunderbird performance parts with all the diagrams included so it's very comprehensive.

...and looking for fun
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum