OBD II Help before I scrap this car!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2002, 14:53   #1 (permalink)

OBD II Help before I scrap this car!!

UUUUUUGGGGGGH!!!!

Ok.. I feel like I just wasted a month rebuilding a new 3.8 for this 94 thunderbird. Everything in it is new. the motor is rock solid. The car ran great until it punched a rod thru the pan. the previous owner sold it to me that way for next to nothing. Has had TONS of work done like trans rebuild, new tires, shocks, brakes, etc.. well.. I dropped in the motor, hooked up everythign exactly as it was unhooked and now it runs like doog pooh.. timing is set dead on and valve timing is absolutly dead on..

It won't even run below 900 rpms.. just chugs.. there is almost no throttle response at all. takes some time to get it to rev much past 2000 rpms. There's a VERY strong fuel smell from exhaust. Also, the only code I get in self-test is 118.

Any thoughts? getting desparate.......

thanks!

Jamie
Swimmster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2002, 03:41   #2 (permalink)
Chromed Member

i know you said the timing is dead on, but are you sure that its not 180 degrees out. It could be trying to fire on the wrong stroke.

Mark the dissy and rotor button postion, pull it out and spin the rotor button around half a turn (180) and refit and try it!
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:17   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

118??? check your e.c.t. Engine coolant temp.Senser circuit above maximum voltage/-40*f indicated...O/K ?? HTH..

Its on the front middle of your inlet manifold.The colour of the wire to it should be light green/ yellow..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:43   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

The VREF (voltage reference signal) to the sensor may be wrong or the sensor may also have failed Check the voltage at the TPS (throttle position sensor) both with key on and key off (after 30 seconds). Check the resistance of the sensor as well and compare to specs. I suspect its more that the 118 code though given the rough idel symptoms. But perhaps if the vref voltage is low it's a sign you have a loose or wrongly connected wiring harness plug that is also interfering with the supply to other parts of the ignition system
Old 05-30-2002, 06:52   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

PS Check the voltage at the light green yellow wire whle back probing it while it is still connected it should NOT be zero volts or 5 volts greater (ie between 0 and 5 is Ok). The sensor resistance should vary by temperature and voltage. Do you have a manual with the specs?
Old 05-30-2002, 07:08   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Check k.o.e.o

212*f .47v 2.07 K ohms
176*f .80v 3.84 K ohms
140*f .1.35v 7.60K ohms
104*f 2.16v 16.15K ohms
68*f 3.06v 37.30K ohms

voltage values for vref =5.0v
But may vary +/- 15% ...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:45   #7 (permalink)

OK.. checked all that. everything seems to be in spec. Something I was thinking about when you said the Distributor might be 180 off.. Well, I rearranged the plug wires 180 degrees and it wouldn't even start. This leads me to this.. inside the distributor, The stator with the vanes on it that triggers the hall effect switch.... I have noticed that the windows are NOT evenly spaced. Does this have to be in a certian position to have the proper timing? If so, how do I know where to set it?

thanks!!
Old 06-01-2002, 06:42   #8 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Yes the vanes are meant to be uneven and there will be marks on the dizzie cap and inside the dizzie to correctly align it and the rotor when the number one piston is at top dead centre.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:28   #9 (permalink)

Marks on the Dizzy

Well, everyone says there should be marks on the dizzy for me to line up #1.. well. I can't find a single mark on either. the cap was aparently replaced at some point and there's no markings on it at all except the black vent cap. someone told me about a fine line on the side of the dizzy body and there are none. I found a scratch mark on the top of the cap that was done by someone else, so I tried it from there and still nothing. tried it both ways to see if it was 180 off.. IF any of you know of anythign very specific to look for or if you have one of these motors and can just take a look at where exactly the #1 plug wire plugs into the dizzy, that'd be great..

Also.. replaced all the plugs yesterday as well and it runs quite a bit better.. had a few wet plugs that obviously weren't firing.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jamie
Old 06-01-2002, 10:11   #10 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I'd look to buy a new cap and internal bits with the required marks.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum