Oil pressure DROPS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37   #1 (permalink)
Master Mechanic

Oil pressure DROPS

Ok when my starter started messing up, my oil pressure gauge would drop almost below the normal zone, and it would start knocking s slight bit. Well I got out and listened and the knocking ISN'T coming from the engine... Any thoughts or ideas? Didn't start doing it until I changed my fuel filter.
ThunderPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 10:57   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Oil pressure DROPS

Could you pinpoint where the noise is coming from? They prbably are all unrelated. When did the oil pressure drop? Idling, driving down the road etc.?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 13:25   #3 (permalink)
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Could you pinpoint where the noise is coming from? They prbably are all unrelated. When did the oil pressure drop? Idling, driving down the road etc.?
Idling. It hasn't done it recently, but just in case, I would like to know what to check. I believe I am about a half to 3/4 of a quart low (since Ford 4.6L love to burn oil) but since my cats are clogged and it still needs some work, I think it may help. Also I get very sluggish throttle response and it won't kick into O/d until around 3k Rpms. Until then it putts along...
Old 08-26-2009, 13:52   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Clogged cats will do that. I've even heard them rattling from the internals bouncing around.
Old 08-26-2009, 14:15   #5 (permalink)
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Clogged cats will do that. I've even heard them rattling from the internals bouncing around.
Damn it, I figured that's what it is... Looks like I have to do what I originally planned: Remove the exhaust from the mani down, beat the hell outta the cats and shake them out... Great... my first of the month drink is gonna be earned this time
Old 08-26-2009, 15:43   #6 (permalink)
Master Mechanic

Sorry testing my sig. Y'all like? I can make more!

Catch me if you can!
Old 08-26-2009, 16:29   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Looks good!!
Old 08-26-2009, 16:39   #8 (permalink)
Master Mechanic

I made another You want one made? I am pretty decent as long as I have a high quality photo.

Catch me if you can!
Old 08-26-2009, 17:18   #9 (permalink)

Being a quart low will cause a lot of problems including over heating. There is a saying
in the " biz". Cats don't die they get murdered. An oil burning engine is the prime example or any untuned engine. I have a 94 3.8 with 567,904 miles on it. second engine.
original cats. 1980 olds. have no idea of the mileage. It rolled over. Same cats. Bottom
line. You might want to find out what murdered your cats (and i don't mean pussy cats)
because you will have the same problem all over again if you replace them. They are not
cheap.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 18:13   #10 (permalink)
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Being a quart low will cause a lot of problems including over heating. There is a saying
in the " biz". Cats don't die they get murdered. An oil burning engine is the prime example or any untuned engine. I have a 94 3.8 with 567,904 miles on it. second engine.
original cats. 1980 olds. have no idea of the mileage. It rolled over. Same cats. Bottom
line. You might want to find out what murdered your cats (and i don't mean pussy cats)
because you will have the same problem all over again if you replace them. They are not
cheap.
I need to top the oil off. What I need to do since I am getting two codes, One for it running too lean and the other for EGR failed flow, is change the EGR, clean out the intake, take down the exhaust, rod the cats, beat them, get them cleaned out, then re-install everything. I was thinking of getting the stock exhaust manifolds ported. A lot of people have done it and ceramic coated them as well and say that after getting them ported, it was better than a set of JBA headers. Dunno how true that would be, but never hurts to try.

I don't plan on having to change anything again (unless it's a routine maintenance kind of thing) so I am going to make this a bullet proof car, redo the engine as much as possible on my income and when funds permit, drop a 4v Romeo in her :D.

Catch me if you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum