Overheating '97 Thunderbird - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2004, 21:50   #1 (permalink)

Overheating '97 Thunderbird

I have a '97 Thunderbird with about 92,000 miles. Recently, it has been overheating. I flushed the coolant system, but it still has been overheating. I think it is either the thermostat or the engine fan. The temperature gauge goes down as I'm driving about 50 mph, but it goes up when I'm stopping, so I think its the fan. Has anyone else have this problem? Is the fan itself broken or maybe a fuse? Is it easy or cheap to repair? Thanks.
tcw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 19:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Overheating '97 Thunderbird

I've got a 96 v6 and it had / is having essentially the same problem. It used to eat coolant until the reserve was almost empty then mysteriosly stops.

One radiator replacement later, it's better, but still periodically has weird tempeaturre spikes. I'll be stopped at a light and the temperature will spike. Soon as I get moving it goes back down, so I'm thinking it's the fan. Good thing my commute is short. I'lllet you know what I find out I'm headed into the shop soon for some bad back brake noises.

-Matthew
mirage_indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 22:05   #3 (permalink)

I took it in on Friday to Midas, and they said the electric motor was going out. They said they managed to get it going by hitting it. My dad replaced the motor yesterday. I'm going to take it on a test drive to see if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage_indigo
I've got a 96 v6 and it had / is having essentially the same problem. It used to eat coolant until the reserve was almost empty then mysteriosly stops.

One radiator replacement later, it's better, but still periodically has weird tempeaturre spikes. I'll be stopped at a light and the temperature will spike. Soon as I get moving it goes back down, so I'm thinking it's the fan. Good thing my commute is short. I'lllet you know what I find out I'm headed into the shop soon for some bad back brake noises.

-Matthew
tcw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 18:18   #4 (permalink)

Which electric motor: in the water pump or in the fan?

-Matthew
mirage_indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 17:10   #5 (permalink)

DEFF THE WATER PUMP... I had the same issue and could never figure the f%cker out... try to replace the water pump. Time Consuming is the best way to describe a water pump replacement... A mechanic will do a better job... but takes at least a day and 300-350 dollars...
MyFordSucksHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 23:23   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw82 View Post
I have a '97 Thunderbird with about 92,000 miles. Recently, it has been overheating. I flushed the coolant system, but it still has been overheating. I think it is either the thermostat or the engine fan. The temperature gauge goes down as I'm driving about 50 mph, but it goes up when I'm stopping, so I think its the fan. Has anyone else have this problem? Is the fan itself broken or maybe a fuse? Is it easy or cheap to repair? Thanks.

sir i am having the exact same problemmine will overheat to the point to where it pushes all of the coolant out of my reservoir tank!! i have a new thermostat,new waterpump, flushed system,new reservoir cap, and its still overheating!!! my temp gauge will reach 3/4 high sometimes before my fan kicks on the when it does activate it will only run for 1-2 minutes and kick off and the car will still be hot!? im thinking the electric motor on my fan, ill kep ya posted on my progress,, please do the same for me
97LXBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:39   #7 (permalink)

My 97 3.8 v6 never overheayed but the gauge always went to 3/4 and then dropped to half. As its antifreeze time again I thought ide better have a closer look, and the coolant fan was on constantly.
Took the thermostat out and not only was it in the wrong way round, but it only opened about 2mm when pan tested, flushed rad and replaced coolant temp sensor. The temp only goes to a 1/4 now but the fan is still on. So not too troubled by it. I would say that a lot of probs caused by sticking stats.
v8mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum