Project Thunderchicken. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 18:18   #1 (permalink)

Project Thunderchicken.

I've been walking my dog past this thunderbird everyday for a couple years now. Always had my eye on it because I previously owned one. I enjoyed that car. So three days ago there was a for sale sign on it for 700. Yippie. I called right away. Payed cash. changed oil, dumped gas down the carb and it fired right up and drove me home. Has the 351m.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140213_012.jpg (109.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140214_010.jpg (116.6 KB, 6 views)
bubbarules1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 18:19   #2 (permalink)

Project Thunderchicken.

Got it home and washed it. Paint was killed by the sun. According to the family they moved it out of the garage in 2006. Original owner car. So I got out the buffer and buffed out the paint. Next on list is to change trans and diff fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140215_004.jpg (63.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140215_007.jpg (68.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 18:21   #3 (permalink)

Project Thunderchicken.

Does anybody out there know anything about these vacuum operated headlight switches? Headlights wont open unless I pull of one of the two lines closet to the left. Right one doesn't do nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140216_004.jpg (60.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 19:23   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Project Thunderchicken.

Glad that "Thunderchicken" has found a loving home !!!

I hate to see these type cars go un-attended !!! I've had 2 big old Lincoln Town Cars. I love those old cars. The last one we owned, saved my life !!!
Stud Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 19:44   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Duck View Post
Glad that "Thunderchicken" has found a loving home !!!

I hate to see these type cars go un-attended !!! I've had 2 big old Lincoln Town Cars. I love those old cars. The last one we owned, saved my life !!!
Yeah I'm glad to have another one back in my life. Fuelpump just started leaking. Going to pick n pull tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2014, 19:55   #6 (permalink)

Started leaking out of that hole. Any Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140216_005.jpg (138.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Project Thunderchicken.

A fuel pump should be pretty cheap new. Usually around 20 bucks. It's one of those items that you should replace new. More than likely if you replace with with a used pump you'll have the same problem.

Its leaking from the weep hole on the pump because the diaphragm is bad. This is common especially when vehicles have sat us for many years. The rubber diaphragm will dry out and deteriorate. Could also leak back into the crankcase and contaminate the oil.

I've had one or two of those old T-Birds back in the day and they were really good old cars.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:56   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Oh, when you change the transmission fluid, make sure you find Ford type F to put in in. Do not put Motorcraft Mercon V or any type of universal fluid in it. Trust me on this.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:17   #9 (permalink)

Arrow Re: Project Thunderchicken.

In my opinion, a fuel pump out of pick n pull, or a used one is just asking for a repeat performance. I'd buy NEW !! (Just my $0.02).
Stud Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Found this , might help you with lights .

MrBlueOval answered 3 months ago

I'm the top expert here after working on the assembly line building the '77-'79 T-Birds. I worked from the front of the line to the end and everywhere inbetween during that time. I've also owned many of the '77-79 birds over the years. Everyone else so far is correct here. The headlight doors are actually fiberglass not plastic on the '77-79 Birds. All were vacuum operated using a vacuum operated diaphram behind the grille and front bumper to open and close the doors. Vacuum would close the doors ,no vacuum would open the doors so if you lost vacuum you could still drive the car at night There were also check valves in the lines to keep the doors open with no vacuum and for access to servicing or replacing headlight bulbs. Now, you are looking at a 37 year old car with 37 year old rubber vacuum lines that have been subjected to tons of underhood engine temps of over 500 degrees for many years and also possibly (depending on where you live) sub-freezing temps too. This can do havoc to ANY rubber product. Your headlight switch consists of being electrical and vacuum operated so electrical contacts could be corroded but probably either the plastic ports on the switch itself are dryrotted & cracked and leaking vacuum or your 25 feet of rubber vacuum hose running from the switch to the diaphram is dryrotted and/or cracked somewhere and losing vacuum along the way. Even a pinhole will slow things down. First thing to do is to lubricate all the contact points that move with the doors with some PB Blaster(better than WD-40) Next would be to replace all 3 of the hoses and check valves from the switch to the vacuum canister behind the front grille ($40-$60), if that doesn't solve the problem, then check the vacuum tank for rust holes (it's metal and could have pinholes in it) Replace or repair holes with 2-part epoxy. Next would be to change out the switch ($80-$120). last thing would be to replace or repair (could also be rusty with pinholes) the vacuum canistor behind the grille. Nothing left to fix after that. The problem of the eyelids opening up too soon is a common problem with our Birds. The eyelids should stay closed for a week or so. If not, there are some fixes that most guys can deal with effectively--if you're patient. In order of priority here are the sources of the problem: 1) Leaky headlight switch (located under the dash). Even new NOS switches leak due to sitting on the shelf for 30 years. Place your head under the dash (motor off) and listen for a subtle hiss. The hiss may be imperceptible. Make sure the three vacuum hoses are fitted securely to the switch itself. The 1977-78 switch is slightly different from the 1979 switch. The earlier switch is different if you have the visability group on your car or not so make sure you get the correct switch for a '77. With the visability group you will have an extra plug connecting to the switch. 2) Leaky check valve: small aluminum valve (three hose connections) located on the driver-side fender apron. 3) Poor connection of vacuum line to the vacuum port on the back-side of the intake manifold. Remove your air cleaner. Use a strong light to inspect the connection. Cut off a bit of the hose and re-plug it back into the port. 4) Vaccum air tank: the tank where the vacuum is stored (to keep the headlight covers closed) is located under the front-portion of the driver-side fender (out of sight). You access it by removing the radiator overflow tank and the two horns. Notice the vacuum line plugged into the side of the tank. Check for a leaky connection there. Cut off some of the line and re-plug it in. The tank may have developed a leak as well. 5) Removing the tank: Remove the three bolts that hold it in place. Two underneath, and one on the fender jam. It will take some jostling to remove the tank. Take the tank to a radiator shop and ask them to check for air leaks. They should be able to re-seal the tank with solder or you can do it with epoxy too, either way works just as good as the other. 6. Check for cracked hoses. The vacuum lines may have developed cracks. Inspect all hoses under bright lights. Replace as needed. Hope all this helps. Good Luck. Kenny/MrBlueOval
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum