Putting a Carb on my car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45   #1 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Putting a Carb on my car

What all will i need to do this? Iv never took the lower intake manifold off a car before, is there anything i should pay special attention to? Any gaskets i dont know about? Is my ignition system good the way it is? Fuel pump good? How should i seal off the fuel injectors?

All input is much appreciated
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 13:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: Putting a Carb on my car

You need to find an older carburated engine of your type. Use those parts. Actually use the complete engine. Ignition system is fine. Remove the injectors and toss them. Use a standard external fuel pump because the carb. can't stand the pressure of the intank pump. Then you will need a standard transmission because your on board computer
controls the transmission shift points on your automatic. For the time involved it's not worth it. If you have lots of money and time go for it. If you want some advice from someone that has been around not only the block but the neighbour hood quit wasting
your time and money on your car and buy a Super Coupe. It has everything you want
already built in. Just turn the key and drive it. The Super Coupe is twice the car yours
will ever be. If you want to race get the S.H.O. it eats Super Coupes and 5 LT. mustangs. Just my input. Happy New Year. Remember, just my input. I follow your site like a soap opera. Give me 2 hours with your car and i will beat your best time with your own car. We've converted a few 351 E.F.I. to carburators. Very easy but serious
problems with wiring and transmissions. Good luck. Hope it works for you. It'll be the best experiance for you. You will learn " LOTS ". I've go 40 years experiance over you on what your trying to do. Need help ? Ask. I think i can save you much time and money.
Maybe.Did you know that the 3.8 has three different stock cam timings ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 14:42   #3 (permalink)

I have a little money to waste, so lets just go with my idea for now............... i can get a used trans, no matter what type, for $55. Is there any gaskets underneath the lower manifold? With what im doing...what manifolds from other cars will fit my car?

Here is a list of thunderbird currently at the salvage yard.....If you dont mind, let me know what i should be looking for.

Pull-A-Part

Iv also been thinkin about putting a carb 5.0 in it, but i dont like the idea of getting a whole motor from a salvage yard from a car that hasnt been wrecked.
Old 01-01-2010, 18:21   #4 (permalink)

The same gaskets as any older carburated engine, Intake to head. You may have a problem. I think there are few if any carburated 3.8s out here. The 5 LT. might be the better option for you. Remember that the older 5lt and the new transmissions don't work. Same as the other way round. The balancing is different. I don't remember but i think anything in the late 70's will not work with the early 80's. completely different engines,as in crank balancing. Don't forget that if you go with the 5 lt it is heavier than the 3.8. I still don't understand why you don't put a bottle on your car. That mod will
put new meaning to " holy shit " as you stomp it. You have a very nice car. Don't go
over board. It was not built or designed to be a race car. It's a luxury car. My advice to you is have fun with it, don't go crazy, keep it as original as possible. That car could be
worth thousands in later years. I did an inventory of the cars i USED to have. If i kept
them i would have about $127,000.00 in the bank. I had a 58 lincoln Premier, 59 stude
golden hawk, 57 jag, 57 monark, 49,50, 53, ford. 68 G.T.X., 70 road runner. 67 mustang
427CJ. , 68 Torino GT fast back. Those cars were a dime a dozen back then. Now they're worth thousands. Your thunderbird is going that route. Your kids will not know what a gasoline powered car was. " using a liquid that explodes to power a vehical " ?
Your kids will think your nuts if you tell them that.
Old 01-01-2010, 19:42   #5 (permalink)

I remember a few of those tbird on the list had a 3.8 carb, i believe it was one in the late 80s. What year car do i need to look for? I never really looked at a bottle set up before. Just because you have to refill it.

P.S. i believe the one with the carb was an 86
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10   #6 (permalink)

You should buy an 89-93 V8 tbird. It already has a 5.0 in it. Then you can build from there.

I said months ago you should buy a super coupe.
Old 01-08-2010, 14:19   #7 (permalink)

Find me a super coupe in my area.................go ahead. Iv only ever seen 3 other tbirds around here. Two were 97 and 95 3.8 LX and 1 was a beat-up 86 5.0. STOP suggesting me to buy a car that isnt here, and give suggestions on what i DO have.
Old 01-08-2010, 14:25   #8 (permalink)

After i put a carb on, and replace the trans. I plan on getting a blower (preferably an eaton m90) A shift kit (preferably b&m)
Lower gears in the rear.
Old 01-08-2010, 22:29   #9 (permalink)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Surely you're willing to drive i little bit to get one
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31   #10 (permalink)

You might want to do a little research before you try that. The 3.8 S.C. motor with the
blower is not the same as a standard 3.8 in your bird or the taurus. The blown 3.8 is
more beefier to take the extra pressure. Close but no cigar. The heads and pistons are
chambered for LESS compression because of the blower,the valves are different, the exhaust chambers are larger, and tha cam is different. Slapping a blower on a regular 3.8 is not a good idea. It'll work but won't stay together very long. Join the S.C.C.A.
They have lots for sale. Better yet get a NO2 set up. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum