quick yes or no Q - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 21:46   #1 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Question quick yes or no Q

Since my car isnt carburated, will a breather filter mess up the vacuum setup?
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 08:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: quick yes or no Q

This might answer your question. It came from the factory with a breather filter.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 15:08   #3 (permalink)

i mean for the valve cover, were you add the oil.
Old 11-04-2009, 18:26   #4 (permalink)

i doubt it... i mean honda guys all have them and hondas arnt carburated they r fuel injected with a throttle body
83TurboCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:34   #5 (permalink)

Vacuum is created by the movement of the pistons in the cylinders. It is then stored in the intake manifold where it is regulated,so to speak, by the throttle body opening and
closing. You can remove the valve covers and oil pan and you will still have vacuum but i highly recommend you do not do that. That is a sealed engine and breathes through the air intake specifically for the emission controls.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:21   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't do it.

If u did I bet there'd be a big vacuum leak.
boostedbird38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 13:23   #7 (permalink)

I'm probably missing something here but if i remember the older solid lifter engines had to
run and ran very well without valve covers as the rockers were adjusted. How does a
vacuum leak happen without valve covers or pans for that matter ? Just wondering. Did i
miss something ?
Old 11-05-2009, 16:01   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Vacuum is created by the movement of the pistons in the cylinders. It is then stored in the intake manifold where it is regulated,so to speak, by the throttle body opening and
closing. You can remove the valve covers and oil pan and you will still have vacuum but i highly recommend you do not do that. That is a sealed engine and breathes through the air intake specifically for the emission controls.
Thats exactly what im trying to figure out. Will there be a vacuum leak if i add a breather filter cause its a sealed engine. I hear adding one is good for throttle response. Just not sure if it would work for my engine.
Old 11-05-2009, 17:27   #9 (permalink)

Let me say this again. The movement in the pistons cause the vacuum which is collected in the intake manifold. You can remove the valve covers and throw them away
and run the engine just fine. (NOT recommended.) and NEVER effect the vacuum. For the life of me i cannot figure out how there will be a better throttle responce on a vented valve cover. They'er not even related. I do have some lake front property on the Canadian arctic you might be interested in. I'd suggest looking up material on the
venting on an engine old and new. It is strictly an emission issue. The old engines didn't have valve covers. They used an oil soaked felt layed across the rocker shafts. You wern't even born then. The engines ran just fine.
Old 11-07-2009, 00:29   #10 (permalink)

ok i get what your saying. I dont know why it would give a better throttle response eather, thats just what iv heard. My valve covers are connected to the PVC valve, if i remove it...the car wants to die. The other valve cover(where you add the oil) is the one i want to put a breather filter on. It has a hose going to the intake boot. If i cap off the nipple at the intake boot and add a breather filter, it wont hurt the car?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum