Rough Idling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15   #1 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

Rough Idling

hey guys, ive got a problem with my 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX.

when i have it in park, and i just started the engine, the idle is REALLY ROUGH. like, the whole car shakes kinda rough. sometimes, its so bad that the engine just dies. now, the check engine light hasnt come on (not that it matters). if i turn on the engine, and immediatly put it in neutral, reverse, or drive, it still does it, no matter what its in. it also only happens when its starting cold, and it hasnt been running for about 12 hours.

any help on what this may be would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Re: Rough Idling

Clears up once warm? Sounds like some type of sensor issues. Suprised you have not seen a check engine light.
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 16:41   #3 (permalink)

try putting some lucas injector cleaner in the fuel tank. if its a bad shaking try 2 cans to about 10 gal gas, also might check your fuel filter as well.
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqman
Clears up once warm? Sounds like some type of sensor issues. Suprised you have not seen a check engine light.

no, the only way to remedy this, is to rev it up to about 3k RPMs. once there, it just smooths out and idles fine.

i put fuel injector cleaner in it, and i also replaced the fuel pump about 5000 miles ago, so thats not the problem. plus, a fuel pump usually either works, or doesnt work, not in-between like this, lol.

the only things i can think of is that it may need new spark plugs, maybe a timing belt, and the throttle control wire may be corroded, but i havent checked it yet. other than those, i cant think of anything else that would cause it.
Old 07-06-2006, 17:22   #5 (permalink)

Plugs and wires are a definate check. Also, check out the fuel pressure regulator Could be a sensor issue or even a bad coil pack but the CEL should come on for any of those. I would suspect a mechanical issue and not an electrical one.
Old 07-06-2006, 17:50   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

When the vehicle will not idle, try whacking the IAC sensor a few times and see if it idles then.

Seriously though, it sounds like this car has some issues. Go for the tune-up and basic stuff first to see if it gets better.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 20:24   #7 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet Man
Seriously though, it sounds like this car has some issues. Go for the tune-up and basic stuff first to see if it gets better.

lol, yeah, it does have some iddues, but not big ones really. considering its 13 years old, and has over 150k miles on it, its not bad at all. im gonna do teh regular old routine tune-up, and then if it hasnt stopped, ill check into something more serious. if its bad enough, ill just scrap the car, or sell it for parts. ive got my supra still, so its not like i need it.
Old 07-21-2006, 20:06   #8 (permalink)
UTI Slacker

i have almost the same problem havent fixed it yet but im just waitin till i get some time. rough idle smooths out when its been rev'ed high and let idle im waitin to change the plugs and plug wires and ill see if that clears it up.
Richard713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 19:48   #9 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

i replaced the plugs, plugs wires, and distributor cap, and its fine now, so try those richard. i also gave it a nice oil change, early, but i did it for the hell of it, and i also drained and replaced the transmission fluid. runs like a charm now
Old 08-25-2006, 18:03   #10 (permalink)

have you changed your spark plugs and or spark plug wires cause my 97 tbird did it and i change the wires and plugs and put some lucas injector cleaner in it and it idles SMOOTH!
tbirdracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum