Thunderbird sc exhaust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 17:29   #1 (permalink)

Thunderbird sc exhaust

Hi Everyone, I just purchased a 1994 thunder sc in mint shape and all stock except for a BBK cai.The owner just had the head gaskets done and no expence was spared.I have read that the factory exhaust is very restrictive.I was thinking of removing the cats and changing out the stock mufflers with a set of flow masters that I have in my garage(new) for now.Has anyone done anything like true duals,headers ect.ect.This is going to be my daily driver and just want a little bit more umph for now. Thanks
ford2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 19:32   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Thunderbird sc exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2002 View Post
Hi Everyone, I just purchased a 1994 thunder sc in mint shape and all stock except for a BBK cai.The owner just had the head gaskets done and no expence was spared.I have read that the factory exhaust is very restrictive.I was thinking of removing the cats and changing out the stock mufflers with a set of flow masters that I have in my garage(new) for now.Has anyone done anything like true duals,headers ect.ect.This is going to be my daily driver and just want a little bit more umph for now. Thanks
Flowmaster still makes a direct-fit kit for 1992-96 T-Birds, but it requires a conversion kit for the V6's. The main kit:
1992 - 1996 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L (base Kit For 3.8L) [17111] - $412.87 : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!

The conversion kit:
1989 - 1996 Ford Thunderbird Resonator V6 [15100] - $224.91 : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!

It is not true dual, but an improvement. True dual might be an issue, because of the location and size of the gas tank. Look for performance companies that do stuff for 3.8L Mustangs, and consult with them on wether a set of headers for a 3.8L Mustang will fit a 3.8L SC. I can't remember the website for SC's, but it would be a good place to find SC upgrades.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 00:14   #3 (permalink)

Re: Thunderbird sc exhaust

If your looking for better flow (and sound), how about just removing the mufflers all together.

I used to have dual flowmasters (50 series, I think) on my 96 thunderbird 4.6l.
The sound was good, but not what I was going for, I was looking for that classic car rumble.

I left the flowmasters on for about 4 years, until my fuel pump went out.

To replace the fuel pump I first had to remove the exhaust (at the connection just before the gas tank) to get to the fuel pump (which is in the top of the tank).

Anyways as I was testing the fuel pump I started the car to make sure I was getting fuel to the engine and all of my electrical connectors were on good.

I decided, just for fun, to take the car around the block without the exhaust on.

Oh man did it sound AWESOME! It reminds me of a hot rodded classic car. And it sounds even better when you open the throttle up. This is the sound I was looking for when I had my flowmasters installed.

Engine runs better without the mufflers on em, and I have had no problems from doing this, no check engine lights or anything, it runs great without them.

I haven't had mufflers on for over a year, and have never had any issues related to the mufflers being off. Not even a ticket for how throaty the car now sounds.

If you do this, just keep the exhaust in the garage so you can put it back on when it comes time for a smog check.
bekindtoyurbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05   #4 (permalink)

Garage

i personally think that when the 4.6 doesnt have mufflers... it sounds like crap
95SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 20:36   #5 (permalink)

Garage

my bad didnt read the sc
95SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum