Timing belt help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58   #1 (permalink)

Timing belt help

Ok, so the other day my car broke down. I wasn't at high rpms, the car sat at idle while I ran inside. When I came out I went maybe 75 feet to a stop sign. When I hit the brakes the car started sputtering and shaking really bad. I had this problem with vacuum hoses popping off, and I replaced them a few das latter. When I resume driving the problem went away, but this time I had no low end torque. I was flooring it and maybe hit 30 mph. As I stopped at another stop sign the car died. So when I restarted it I had to press the brake and gas to keep it going, and to put it into gear. I didn't go very far until I could pull over and when I did I checked the vacuum hoses and as I expected, they were fine so I cranked up the idler just to see if it would help and of course, it didn't. After that I turned the car off, tried to turn it over and it started. Now it started to rattle and I didn't want to risk it so I moved a few feet so my car wouldn't get towed and left it there. My step dad came and looked at it and it won't start now. He thinks the timing belt skipped a tooth, so we got it towed back home, and I'm working on it today. I have everything off that I need. Spark plugs are pulled and I'm ready to line things up, but I'm not sure how to do so.

From what I can tell you need to align the notch on the crankshaft to a knob under the crankshaft (I have pics). My knob has 3 settings. I am not sure if it has to be dead center, or if setting it to the right or left will affect it. I'm sure it needs to be dead center, but I'm just wanting a second opinion.

I'll add some pics when photobucket decides it wants to work.

Last edited by tbird100636; 11-27-2008 at 21:24. Reason: Spelling and punctuation
crazyeyeschase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 11:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: Timing belt help

I guess pics don't really matter at this point, because it's timed right, and the distributor is fine. Any other suggestions???
Old 11-26-2008, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

I had this problem with a 93 honda i use to have. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldnt. It idled way to high, and it would only get fire when it wanted to. I replaced the coil pack and distributor and had one hell of a time trying to get the timing right. I finally have a mechanic reset the computer. Thats what was wrong with it.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:53   #4 (permalink)

Well I replaced the ignition coil a few weeks ago. I bought a new cap and rotor, the old ones were kind of worn being 20 yrs old. The timing belt was perfect in line. I checked the spark plugs and none of them were wet or oily, but I did notice that the little white rubber on it (not the porcelin) was black. Well 2 were still white and the other 2 were black. Thinking about it now I should of checked the gauging but they all seemed fine. I have everything back on the engine and tomorrow when I can get the bat charged I'm going to see if anthing helped. I doubt it. I'm also going to try the fuel line pump and filter. someone said the fuel pump seemed like it was going bad and that it didnt matter if it was buzzing, if it wasn't sucking the fuel. I'm also going to see about the filter but I'm sure its fine because my truck had a bad filter and it acts different then what its doing, but I'm willing to try or look at everything at least.

Last edited by tbird100636; 11-27-2008 at 21:03. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-27-2008, 16:19   #5 (permalink)

So I was going to come home and put the belts back on right quick and crank my car, but I forgot I still don't have the alternator on, so I'll just do it tomorrow morning. It's not hard to get back on but it's dark already.

Last edited by tbird100636; 11-27-2008 at 21:08. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-27-2008, 21:07   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Timing belt help

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyeschase View Post
Well I replaced the ignition coil a few weeks ago. I bought a new cap and rotor, the old ones were kind of worn being 20 yrs old. The timing belt was perfect in line. I checked the spark plugs and none of them were wet or oily, but I did notice that the little white rubber on it (not the porcelin) was black. Well 2 were still white and the other 2 were black. Thinking about it now I should of checked the gauging but they all seemed fine. I have everything back on the engine and tomorrow when I can get the bat charged I'm going to see if anthing helped. I doubt it. I'm also going to try the fuel line pump and filter. someone said the fuel pump seemed like it was going bad and that it didnt matter if it was buzzing, if it wasn't sucking the fuel. I'm also going to see about the filter but I'm sure its fine because my truck had a bad filter and it acts different then what its doing, but I'm willing to try or look at everything at least.
The white part of the tip of the spark plug is porcelin too. If it's black fluffy soot that wipes off then you have a rich running cylinder. I'd lean towards injectors because if it was an issue with the Engine control system, all would be the same way.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:00   #7 (permalink)

Alright thanks when ever i decide to get off my lazy butt illl go put the alternater on and see what happens. Im going to try and see if i can borrow a ggas preasure check so i can see how much psi my pumpp is pushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum