turbo? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 12:30   #1 (permalink)

turbo?

hey im just wondering wat size turbo i should get im looking to make around 600 hp in my 2.3L tc i have the turbo manifold with a t3/t4 flange
83TurboCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 13:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: turbo?

no offence but do you have any more of those drugs your on ? Your trying to get 600 H.P out of a 2 lt. coke bottle ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 16:16   #3 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Trying to put 150hp on each cylinder. On that old of a motor, you will blow the motor as soon as you get to mid range rpms. If your wanting more hp out of a 2.3, you should look up some of the setups on mid 80s 2.3l mustangs. But 600 hp for a 2.3 is a little to unrealistic. Id be looking at max hp of 400. Or to play it safe on the motor.....300hp. I have a 232 3.8 V6 and only does about 260hp. Thats only 100hp more than factory. I couldnt emagine trying to get 600hp. And i have more cylinders and CI.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:53   #4 (permalink)

well im ordering a brand new block from ford and ann new internal rated to handle 900 hp and ive worked on an acura integra with 800+ hp out of a 1.8L motor...
Old 11-06-2009, 09:59   #5 (permalink)

Might be mechanicly possible but you will run out of money before you even get close to
that H.P. You will have to do some serious research and do everything conceivabley
possible to that engine. You will never drive it on the street and it might last one run,maybe. I've gotten 703 H.P. out of a 3.8 but lasted 3 runs. Actually 2 1/2 runs. Then BANG. Eveyone is entitled to their dreams. Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2009, 13:18   #6 (permalink)

congrats but im not looking to do this over night its a 10-15 year project... but if you all thinks its impossible wat size to make around 400? i have huge conections in the aftermarket performance scene and get get all my shit for cost...

and no i will not swap in a 5.0L like a few ppl have told me on other forums
Old 11-06-2009, 16:05   #7 (permalink)

You might want to get a little realistic on this one. If you are going to take,as you say
10-15 year project to get this H.P. from this type of engine By then you could buy one from a lot and drive it home. Probably much sooner that 10 years. The 2010 Taurus S.H.O. comes from the factory stock with 365 H.P. V6. There is a B.M.W out there that
has 600 H.P. stock from the factory. V6. None of these engines have any modifications
and are up to anything you can do to them. Here is the bottom line. You are going to spend about and probably more to get what you want from your engine when you can buy one from a lot cheaper and sooner. Your reinventing the wheel. Just my input.
Go for it. It'll be good experiance and maybe a reminder of how much money you didn't
need to spend. Here is something you forgot about. I've been in the automotive trade
for over 45 years. I had more connections than the telephone system. Now all my connections are all retired or dead. I now have to start over. So will you. I do hope you
get this going. Problem is by that time you will have a completely obsolete engine and
a problem getting parts for it. Good luck. It'll be fun.
Old 11-06-2009, 17:32   #8 (permalink)

well i would by my grand father bought this car brand new from the dealer in 83 and he has givin it to me b/c he has arthritis in both his hips he just turned 70 and my plan is to rebuild it so if hes still around on his 80th b-day i would like to take him for a drive in it he thinks im going to sell it or scrap it he doesnt think im acually gunna put anywork into it. i know im 19 im a stupid teenager who knows nothing (well thats wat i hear anyways)

but if you guys are gunna sit and tell me to forget about it and scrap the pos then im not gunna sit here and listen
Old 11-06-2009, 21:26   #9 (permalink)

I'm not gonna bash you. I have similar ideas....well mine are realistic. I have a 84 bird with a 302/AOD. It was my wife's grandma's car. It has a true 96k on it. I pulled the factory plugs, wires, cap and rotor and front brakes off in feb. The "mechanic" grandma used just took her money and ran. Anyways turns out my car had a busted head gasket. And two weeks after driving it from my tune up the gasket finally went the rest of the way.

My 302 has a factory rated 175hp....my 94 ranger has almost that from the factory...lol But my idea is to have somewhere around 250 horse out of my 302. Something just enough to have fun. I plan on "half @$$" restoring it and showing it to her daughter one day (whom I got the car from) with out the surface rust it obtained from being in pennsylvania for 20 years.

My goal is to pull this off and still use all factory stuff (keep in mind it is a TBI car) To me this is realistic.

Now you say you have played with high hp honda's....good for you. I hope you ran that on a track only environment. The turbo bird should have been somewhere between 175-200 horse from factory. up it by another 100 and you'd have a really fun car.

I am almost 30 and have driven speeds of 170MPH in a car that wasn't mine. I should be dead cause the LF hub broke 3 wheels studs going around a curve at 140.... So you are young and will do what you think is cool at the time, hopefully you will wake up like I did and realize it's just not fun to cheat death.
Old 11-07-2009, 00:19   #10 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

It has nothing to do with money, connections or age. For all i know theres a 10 year old out there that knows more about cars than any of us. Its the fact that the heads, valves, lifters and all the internal parts available for that motor wasnt made to handle 600hp. As chip said, he got 2 1/2 runs out of his car. And it had a bigger motor with less horses. If you want block that can handle 400hp, the 2.3 you have will work, but it wont last as long as a V6. Less cylinders means more pressure on each one.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum