turbo bird - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2003, 08:02   #1 (permalink)

turbo bird

hey my friend got himself an 87 turbo 4cly thunderbird. we were arguing over the top speed and what you can do to make it go faster. so i wanted to know what are the limitations on his drivtrain, drag, and weight. what can he do to his car ,besides the obvio, to make it go faster. and what are the gains with each. he already did the boost valve high flow air filter in the nose and the 3" down pipe. it is a 5 speed. with that what do you guys/girls think his top speed is. and is that his top speed cause he will be hitting his rev limiter in 5th or is thier room to gain more top end by dropping the car and getting rid of high drag item on the outside of the car like the mirrors and wipers... anyways thanks for the input. hopefully i get to learn some stuff here i didn't already know. o ya if you have a question about anything i said or an explination dont be afraid to ask
cndctrdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 02:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: turbo bird

in 87 the turbo coupe 2.3 with the 5 speed made 190 hp. the top speed in 5th gear is 143. i know that you can make them fly it just takes a lot of boost and money. they say that the stock turbo is good for 300 hp. good luck.
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 15:34   #3 (permalink)

thats right on the top speed but i dont see you getting 300hp out of the stock turbo youll probably have to get a bigger turbo get a bigger fuel pump and after 300hp worth of mods you can guareentee to be looking into alot of time and money but if your serious about making this car go and are willing to take the time in working on it and actually doing it right than for some good info id go to www.turbotbird.com and go to the message boards because theirs preety much unlimited info in those forums being they are all about TC's
sk8er629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 22:31   #4 (permalink)

You could always swap out the engine i got a 5.0 small block v8 in mine its the same engine that comes in the mustangs
umesturself is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum