TurboCoupe? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2001, 11:43   #1 (permalink)
Bronco Member

TurboCoupe?

Anybody out there own a TurboCoupe?

I personally really like the front end and the "scoops in hood" look....
remat457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2001, 18:11   #2 (permalink)
mwhit

I have 2 of them

I have 2 Turbo coupes, the red one has 6200 miles on it and still smells like a new car when you open the door. The other one (blue) has just turned 200,000 miles yesterday. I really like the cars alot. I hope to have the same luck with the yellow 2002 I have on order. I should have it just in time to park it for the winter. I will sure be looking forward to next spring.
Old 05-26-2001, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Bronco Member

Wow! 200k that's great....any major problems with it?

(or things to look for in a used one?)

thanks,
reg
Old 05-26-2001, 05:55   #4 (permalink)
mwhit

Thumbs up Change the oil

I got the blue one when it had 33,000 miles on it. Every 3,000 miles I change the oil and filter with a high quailty oil. I don't baby the car, but I don't beat it either. I change the timing belt every 60,000 miles. You need to find one that was well taken care of and continue to do so, and it should perform well. I have replaced the clutch, but the worst item to replace was the heater core what a job. I hope you find one, I saw there was one for sale on E-Bay. Search for "turbo coupe" Good luck in your search. Mike
Old 06-02-2001, 20:47   #5 (permalink)
86svo

My first Turbo Coupe

I have my first TC, sorry not hood scoops. It's an '85, fast , fun and gets 27 mpg! Has 153k and after a plugs and wires runs strong. I was previously an SVO Mustang owner, so I was familiar with the engine combination. I like the smooth and quiet ride and the cruise control is nice too! There is a picture on http://mikesmustangs.net
Old 02-21-2002, 10:42   #6 (permalink)
85 Turbo Bird

Re: My first Turbo Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by 86svo
It's an '85, fast , fun and gets 27 mpg! Has 153k and after a plugs and wires runs strong.
I have an 85 too. I agree with you that it's fast and fun. how do you get 27mpg though??? I get 20mpg when I drive only on the freeway, with every day driving it's down to about 15mpg ( I do drive it rather hard though).

Oh well, long live the turbo coupes.

I wonder how long it will be before Ford or an aftermarket company offers a turbo for the 2002 Bird!?!?
Old 02-21-2002, 20:05   #7 (permalink)
86svo

That post was 9 months ago. I now have 159,200 miles and Again I find my self driving 115 miles a day, 90% freeway, keeping up with the fast lane and I don't baby it. Today I filled up and got 26.7 mpg, I average about 25. It has the 5 speed and I use regular 87 octane gas with no pinging at 14 lbs boost. I just changed the plugs and put in 5-30 blended oil. I tried 20-50 when I first got it and it didn't like it!

Do you have oversize tires? That could be the problem, you have to figure in a correction. Mine are old stock tires and I don't use any correction, but my wife's SC has a big correction.

I love passing people in their $30+k sports utes with my $600 dollar beater!

My new url is http://clix.to/MUSTANGS

>>I wonder how long it will be before Ford or an aftermarket company offers a turbo for the 2002 Bird!?!?>>

They problably all ready do!
Old 02-21-2002, 20:39   #8 (permalink)
Bronco Member

plugs

What kind of plugs did you use?

I am wondering if they take double platinum like the sc's.....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum