Warping rotors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 09:28   #1 (permalink)

Warping rotors

I can't keep rotors in the front of my 95 T-Bird for more than a couple months without them warping. I keep my rear brakes properly adjusted and don't abuse (i.e. ride with my foot on the brake) my braking system, yet the rotors still warp prematurely. Any suggestions?
rjmac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 23:15   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Warping rotors

do you do heavy braking?

Do you or have you run through high water after braking?

Warpage can happen from many things. Are you getting the rotors replaced or just turned? Just turning them will result in issues once again if you have already caused heat spots in the rotor.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:54   #3 (permalink)

No heavy braking and very rarely do I have to go through high water. I'm very conscious about trying not to overheat the rotors. I cut the rotors the first time I changed the brakes. Last time I replaced them with new rotors, but the results were almost the same -- I got about 2 months out of them before the pulsation came back.
rjmac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:24   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

The Front brakes on the TBirds are undersized for the size of the car. You will continue to experience warping. Moderate braking in your two ton car can cause the excessive heat in the stock 10.87" rotors that leads to warping. The stock Thunderbird rotors (10.87") were designed for 15" wheels and the only factory brake upgrade for the Thunderbird came in 1997 (11.57"). You should be able to swap out to the 11.57 setup, since your spindles are already adapted for that setup if i am not mistaken.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 19:11   #5 (permalink)

Another thing that can cause rotor warping...

...is the use of an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts. Often, they overtighten, and can actually warp the rotors. And loosning the lug nuts after they have been overtorqued won't make them go back to their original shape.

Also, the thinner the disc, the easier it will be for it to warp. So if you have a set of discs turned down, they will warp easier than the first time.

I have 97,000 miles on my 1995 LX V8 and I am on the original rotors, and I only had these cleaned up when I replaced the original brake pads at 87,000 miles. They are smooth and there is no warpage. I can't explain why.

Yes, the 1996 & 1997 T-Bird Sports came with larger disc brakes and 16" wheels to clear the bigger brakes.

You can always swap a set of Sport brakes or Lincoln Mark VIII brakes, but then you'd probably have to get a bigger set of wheels. But, that could be your excuse to get new wheels.
scotthrbacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:31   #6 (permalink)

I have an 89 V-6 Thunderbird, and I haven't really had any problems with warpage. Maybe your hubs aren't flat enough and that is causing the rotors to wear unevenly?
S_Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 19:08   #7 (permalink)

I have a 93 Thunderbird and I replaced my rotors approximately 8 months ago and they have been pulsing for the last 3 months. so i feel your pain.
Thunderchiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum