'02 Cyl 3 Misfire, rough idle, "pull back" on acceleration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47   #1 (permalink)

'02 Cyl 3 Misfire, rough idle, "pull back" on acceleration

Not familiar with Ford cars, but trying to help a friend. '02 6cyl Cougar --Cylinder 3 Misfire code came up. (Probable causes: Ignition coil, wires, plugs, sensor, fuel injectors). I pulled the #3 plug, didn't look fouled. Checked all the plug wires, coil connections/wires, and borrowed a new #3 wire in case that was faulty (related to the code). The new wire did not change anything. The coil pack was changed out a year ago..but I've heard that the coil packs DO have issues.

In the beginning you could only feel it misfire under acceleration. Just for some hope, my friend ran a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner through the tank. Now she says it has a rough idle, hesitates even worse on acceleration, and feels just "unsafe" to drive.

I don't want to just start replacing parts that may not solve the problem --adds up quick. The coil pack alone is about $60. Has anyone had a similar problem that can throw out a suggestion? Is there a way to test the coil pack?

Thanks!!
pike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 16:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: '02 Cyl 3 Misfire, rough idle, "pull back" on acceleration

I am having this same exact problem with my 2002 Cougar V6 2.5l Duratec. I have already replaced plugs and wires with no results.

A bit more information, Besides the cylinder 3 misfire code, when the car is started initially the RPMs are ~1.5 but then after a few seconds it drops down to 1 and that when it starts running rough.

Thanks in advance for any possible solutions or links to solutions already posted elsewhere.
ThrashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum