2000 4cyl cougar, Cai?? or free airflow - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 22:19   #1 (permalink)
GGT
needs mo glow

2000 4cyl cougar, Cai?? or free airflow

i've got a 2000 mercury cougar with the 4cyl, the plastic box sitting on top of the Throttle body looks like it can be easily deleted and a full cai can be run from the throttle body, i'm looking to make a cai or at least remove the box sitting on top of the throttle body cuz it looks like it would restrict air flow
GGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 23:00   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: 2000 4cyl cougar, Cai?? or free airflow

I'm sure you could run a cone style filter, but I personally would recommend running a fenderwell setup if possible or have the filter segregated by some sort of a housing from the rest of the engine bay. I see too many cars that have a cone filter sticking off the intake tube, and in my book that is a big NO-NO. There is nothing CAI about it when it is sucking in hot engine air from under the hood like I commonly see. Don't make the same mistake lots of other people do!

Here is a link to show the setup I am referring to. It is not specific to your vehicle, but you get the idea.>>>>

LMS - MegaMeter

Note the results of the test they did....over 50 degrees cooler with the "ice-box"!!
Old 04-12-2010, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
GGT
needs mo glow

do I need to tune the engine afterwards?
Old 04-12-2010, 20:01   #4 (permalink)

Garage

I would absolutely get it tuned. You will get the most of your CAI that way. Coming from someone who has a project himself, I can tell you that 90% of all my bolt-ons ($2800 worth) are almost worthless without a tune of some sort and actually some of them won't even respond properly without a tune. I think a CAI falls under this rule.

Worthless frills like stickers and fender vents obviously don't need a tune.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:34   #5 (permalink)
GGT
needs mo glow

i've taken a couple auto classes and done a couple headgaskets so I know my way around a car, is a tune something I can do on this or am I going to need to drop this off at a speed shop?
Old 04-14-2010, 16:15   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGT View Post
i've taken a couple auto classes and done a couple headgaskets so I know my way around a car, is a tune something I can do on this or am I going to need to drop this off at a speed shop?
You can get a chip or a hand-held tuner and do it yourself. The chip is around $300 and the handheld can be almost $500 but most likely more like $400-450. The upside to having a handheld is that it has diagnostic trouble-shooting capabilities most of the time and you can read trouble codes with the handheld, so it is a dual-purpose device.

If you opt for going with a chip, Lonnie over at Blue Oval Chips is a good guy. The tune is going to make that CAI adapt well and add performance on top of that. 15-20 hp to the crank is fairly typical and you WILL feel that.

Blue Oval Chips, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum