2000 Cougar Fuel Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 08:29   #1 (permalink)

2000 Cougar Fuel Problems

I am working on a 2000 I4 Mercury Cougar. The fuel pump works (tested with an alternate power source) but does not appear to be getting power from the ECU.
Thus far I have done the following to trouble shoot the issue:

The first thing I checked was the fuel pump fuse. It was good.

We then moved on to the fuel pump relay. As I did not have an OHM meter to check it we plugged it into the horn relay's spot as they are identical (per the drawing on the side of the relay) and the relay worked there.

I checked the fuel safety switch to ensure that it was not tripped. Once I found it to be depressed I disconnected the harness from switch and bypassed it by inserting a wire into each side of the connector.

Does anyone have any additional ideas as far as trouble shooting the issue goes?

I am not sure if this may be a sign of an ECU failure or if it is typical of these cars but, the gauges (speedometer and tach) do peg when the power is cycled through the ignition switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erick C.
talclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum