76 Cougar help needed for new guy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2005, 14:33   #1 (permalink)

76 Cougar help needed for new guy

Hello All,
New member trying to find some information about a 76 Cougar. I just inherited the car from my grandmother. It needs some work but I know more about GM's then Fords.
I was hoping that someone out here could steer me in the right direction. I was looking to rebuild the motor but wanted to increase the performance. I was looking maybe a street cam (nothing to radical) and changing from a two bbl to a 4 bbl carb but I am not sure which mfg would be a good mix for the Ford.

Any help you be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Crazyone
Crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 76 Cougar help needed for new guy

Welcome to the forum. I have moved this into the correct area for assistance.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 16:43   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyone
Hello All,
New member trying to find some information about a 76 Cougar. I just inherited the car from my grandmother. It needs some work but I know more about GM's then Fords.
I was hoping that someone out here could steer me in the right direction. I was looking to rebuild the motor but wanted to increase the performance. I was looking maybe a street cam (nothing to radical) and changing from a two bbl to a 4 bbl carb but I am not sure which mfg would be a good mix for the Ford.

Any help you be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Crazyone
Try to stick with factory Ford parts, Ford had a lot of great stuff out there back in the 60's & early 70's.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:06   #4 (permalink)
FORD CRAZZY

Hello Crazyone,
I own a 79 cougar with a 302 in it,I increased my power by installing a eldebroke performance 289 intake with a eldebroke 600cfm carb.I also installed a tci torque converter in tran.with motorcraft plugs and excell 8.8mm plug wires.my horse power has increased alot.some people think that I have a 351 in it.The cost for me was around 1000.00 give and take a few bucks.I hope you get it the way you want.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:13   #5 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

Hi

What engine do you have? 351C was the most common, but you could also have 351M.

76 is a heavy car so do't go too radical or you will just poor money down the drain. To make it more drivable around town you can drop the diff to 3.5:1 and go with traditional Cleveland mods - mild cam, headers, and 600 to 750 holley on edelbrock performer manifold - 600 should be fine

Most of the Cougar sites deal with 67 - 73 Cougars. Your local Cougar club contact in Illinois is Scott Dyle at jsovich@mailcity.com. You can get details at Cougar Club of America site

http://www.cougarclub.org/links/regional.shtml

Good luck
Old 05-01-2005, 08:39   #6 (permalink)

the 76 cougar does not have a 351c stock the standard options are 351w 351m 400 and 460. only the 460 came with a 4bbl but 4bbl intakes for all the others are readaly available hopefully you have the 351w. i know alot about the 76 cougars since i have one that i have been restoring its my regular driver now. they are great cars that handle really well for such a big car. there are a lot of motor hop ups that are available you just need to look up under other ford cars with the same motor you have from the late 60s and early 70s. good luck
slimchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum