90 Cougar Trans? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 20:06   #1 (permalink)

90 Cougar Trans?

Hi, I have a 90 Cougar, its my first car and for what i bought it for it's a real good car. But not to long ago I tried to burn a little rubber and the car tried but just felt like something messed up. So I drove the car the next day and every gear is drive even Neutral. When I put it in reverse the parking brake is still engage but if i hit the gas hard enough the car tried to move So in reverse its in drive to. I want to know if its possible to be the shift linkage or is the trans just shot?? Orrrrr......
Coaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 90 Cougar Trans?

It could be the linkage. If you put it in park, does it still roll with the park brake off? If so, it could be the linkage.
Old 10-03-2010, 20:19   #3 (permalink)

In Park it doesn't move. When I start it up in the morning I have to get to about 5000 rpms for it to shift into what i believe is 3rd becuase the rpms drop and it takes a while to get up to speed. When I come close to stopping like around 5-10mph the car shakes violently. I can take off with ok acceleration till about 25mph then the rpms just stops and i let go of the gas then the car shifts (jerks) this happens around 30mph and takes a while to get up to speed then at about 40 it picks up speed a little. The shaking only happens the first few stops after driving for a while it doesn't do it anymore.
Old 10-03-2010, 20:42   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Hi Coaach

The very first thing I would do is check the dipstick on the transmission. What does the fluid look like? It should be reddish-pink. It sounds like something else happened here though, but if driven this way, your transmission could be toast in a hurry and your dipstick will eventually tell you that. Safely support your car with a jack stand on the one side and crawl underneath and look at the linkage and components to see if anything is loose or broken. I would also be looking very closely at your throttle valve cable and linkage to see if something happened there. Those were problematic at times as it is, let alone some extra abuse that may have occurred from having a little bit of fun. :)

Here are two tech articles regarding this cable. The second one kind of gives you and idea where to look for it:

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00138.html

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Good Luck!
Old 10-03-2010, 23:39   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaach View Post
In Park it doesn't move. When I start it up in the morning I have to get to about 5000 rpms for it to shift into what i believe is 3rd becuase the rpms drop and it takes a while to get up to speed. When I come close to stopping like around 5-10mph the car shakes violently. I can take off with ok acceleration till about 25mph then the rpms just stops and i let go of the gas then the car shifts (jerks) this happens around 30mph and takes a while to get up to speed then at about 40 it picks up speed a little. The shaking only happens the first few stops after driving for a while it doesn't do it anymore.
Hi, this sounds like your torque converter is locked up; Could be electrical or mechanical. Meaning that an electrical signal is being sent to lock the converter or the converter itself is bad.
Old 10-29-2010, 14:50   #6 (permalink)

Hi Everyone, Sorry it took so long for me to reply Ive been working on my winter fwd car thats giving me a lot of problems.

To ROBERTSUNRUS: I'm not sure because i thought it could be the torque converter but when i searched about problems it usually said that the car would react slow when you hit the gas but mines go when i put my foot down always.

To KStromberg: I haven't had the chance to check all of that yet but thanks I will soon right after I get the car towed home.

Recently I was driving and i turned right and heard something break so i turned on a side street & sounded like something rubbing so I had thought I Had Caught a flat. Got out checked all tires and all where well so I tried to drive a little and the car didn't want to move. So Looked again and a Control arm i believe (not 100% sure) broke on the driver side and is like hanging and rubbing against the wheel. The wheel won't turn only the passenger side. Also the car looks like a low rider in the front because what ever broke i guess was holding the car up so it had dropped down close to ground level. If anyone knows how much it would cost to get that fixed because my cougar runs good even with the trans little prob & i don't want to sell my car

Last edited by Coaach; 10-29-2010 at 14:51. Reason: Make Things Clear
Old 10-29-2010, 21:23   #7 (permalink)

Hi, you could have a broken ball joint or control arm. It might be easier and cheaper to replace the complete control arm assembly.
Old 10-29-2010, 21:29   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
To ROBERTSUNRUS: I'm not sure because i thought it could be the torque converter but when i searched about problems it usually said that the car would react slow when you hit the gas but mines go when i put my foot down always.
Hi, this symptom, slow acceleration, is the cause of the torque converter ROTOR being locked up. What problem you have been noting could be caused by the torque converter CLUTCHES not releasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum