93 Cougar Idle Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 13:19   #1 (permalink)

93 Cougar Idle Problem

I have a 93 cougar XR7 with the 3.8L V6. This car has scene better days. After owning it for about 6 months the crankshaft bearing went out and I swapped the engine out of a 95 into my 93. About a year ago a head cracked and I replaced it with one from an 89 t-bird. I have it all back together now but the car will not idle. It will run but only if I keep on the throttle. I think i have just about everything hooked up correctly. My only concern is that I may have some vacuum lines switched around as I can not find a good detailed diagram or a good picture of the layout. I have tested the IAC and it was within it parameters so it should be in working order. Does anyone have any further suggestions or advise that may help me get it back up and running correctly
biniecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 13:43   #2 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Re: 93 Cougar Idle Problem

How does it run when you keep your foot on the gas so it will idle? Does it feel like its missing? Are you using the MAF from the 93 or 95?

If i am correct, the 93 has an EGR vacuum solenoid, and the 95 does not. But im not sure.

It may also have something to do with the computer from a 93 having the different parameters than a 95.
Old 07-30-2009, 13:05   #3 (permalink)

The only difference between the 93 and the 95 was the piping for the water pump and one of the exhaust manifolds. All the electrical is still the original 93 stuff. The car has ran fine with the 95 engine in it for a year or two. The idle problem is something new after I had to replace one of the heads. The car has not been on the road since the repair was completed. I just got time again to start working on getting it running properly and can't seem to determine the idle problem. When i keep on the gas it sounds like it is running fine, its just that it will not idle on its own.
Old 07-30-2009, 13:38   #4 (permalink)

you have to have the vacc diagram so as to make sure the hoses are correct and eliminate this step first.Next look for a vacc leak around the trottle body and any other intake component you may have replaced.If things are good there,do a compression test and check timing of the cam and ignition.For an engine to have a problem idling then,either the timing is incorrect,compression is low,there are vacc leaks or there is a problem with more fuel getting in than needed smothering the engine.If there was not enough fuel then reving or increasing rpm's would be a problem.Check those steps in this order and see what you get.
Doc.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 17:00   #5 (permalink)

Any idea on where I can find a detailed and correct vac diagram. I have checked my chiltons manual as well as mitchels, and the free autozone. None of which have a good diagram. I may just have to go to the local junk yards and scope out the layout of one instead. I currently have 1 line that is not connected properly I may need to splice something together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum