94 Cougar starts when it want to - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 16:32   #1 (permalink)

confused 94 Cougar starts when it want to

I have a 94 XR7 that has a peculiar starting problem. It has a 3.8 V6 with about 165,000 an it. Most of the time it will start with no problems. On occasion (more common at this point) it will just not start. The fuel pressure seems to be ok. It doesn't seem to have a spark during it's fits. It will turn over but not start. The battery check out fine. I replaced the coil and it started fine for about a week. When it began having problems again I replaced the ignition module. Again it worked fine for a week or so. I doesn't throw any cel's so there are no codes to pull (yes the cel light works). When it left me on the freeway at 10 below zero this January I had it towed to the shop. Of course it started just fine for him. I have found that if I let it sit with the ignition on for 4 or 5 minutes it will usually start. Most of the time it will not start in the morning or after work. A couple of times it has just shut down while driving. Nobody seems to know what is causing the problem.
Can anybody help?
parotpirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 07:17   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Re: 94 Cougar starts when it want to

I suspect it's the Hall effect sensor inside the distributor. You can check the voltage from it by pulling out the distributor, turning the key on, and spinning the distributor by hand. Measure the output of the sensor with a volt meter and it should jump back and forth between 0 and 12 volts.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 17:26   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
I suspect it's the Hall effect sensor inside the distributor. You can check the voltage from it by pulling out the distributor, turning the key on, and spinning the distributor by hand. Measure the output of the sensor with a volt meter and it should jump back and forth between 0 and 12 volts.
I understand the HALL effect. So I'm not confused I assume it's the same thing as the distributor ignition pickup/stator. It didn't look burned or damaged but then again I didn't take the distributor out. It's so intermittent that I just wish it would fail. If I just replace it for $30 then I would take that out of the picture.
parotpirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:25   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Right, these parts go by several different names.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum