97 cougar xr7 intermittent starting/running problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 20:02   #1 (permalink)

97 cougar xr7 intermittent starting/running problem

My problem I am having is intermittent.. I'll turn the key to on for about 6 seconds to let the fuel pump kick on... When I hear it shut off ill go to fire it... It cranks and fires but just dies... So ill shut the car completely off and try it again... This time I'll fire it and hold down the gas pedal at the same time and it will run but then die when I release the gas pedal unless I hold it at 1000 rpms for a minute and then it'll run fine... No check engine light.... I took it to auto zone and the handheld said mass airflow sensor.... So I changed it... It ran fine until today.... This only happens when I get in it in the morning for work or if I'm leaving work.... Air way is clear the throttle Position Sensor is fine I already tested that.... I replaced the camshaft position Sensor and pcm last year and the alternator and catalytic converter... I don't know what to do now and really don't want to take it to a dealer unless it's a last resort.... Thank you for any suggestions.... It's a 4.6l v8
Vross1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 20:56   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 97 cougar xr7 intermittent starting/running problem

Try with the MAF unplugged. Clean the IAC too.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:10   #3 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Re: 97 cougar xr7 intermittent starting/running problem

What Bert said.

You may need to clean the throttle body too. Check for vacuum leaks- 4.6l aluminum intake has a rubber "T" near the throttle body on the right side and a short rubber hose on the left of the throttle body connected to a hard plastic vacuum line.

May need to replace IAC if less expensive attempts yield no results.

Further consideration is fuel pressure. Regulator- Any black smoke from the exhaust? Pump itself- Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Does it hold about 40 psi? If not you may have a weak pump or a faulty check valve in the pump.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum