99 Cougar Overheating 2.5 174000 miles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 19:19   #1 (permalink)

99 Cougar Overheating 2.5 174000 miles

I bought a 99 Cougar yesterday. Took it for a test drive and totally looked it over including looking at all the fluids and checking to see if it was running hot or anything. Took for a 30 min test drive with NO PROBLEMS at all.

I buy the car for 1300 it is a sharp looking car well taken care of at least it appeared.

This is what happened .... I have about a 80 mile ride home at about 40 miles into the trip I notice the temp gauge gettn hotter and hotter and finally hits the red so I pull right over let it cool and check water and when it cooled about to the middle I figure lets try it and see what happens....Now it took about 1 minute to get into the red.Im hoping it only the thermstat at this point....I wait for it too cool even longer and it needed watwer this time it seems its boiling out of the filler area.

I drive to advance now it was about 2 minutes away.I buy thermastat and change it in the parking lot.add fluid and start heading home...The car made it home without getting all the way into the red BUT it was sneaking up close a couple of times it was making all kinds of gurgling and the low coolant light came on.I added fluid and thats where im at now.

There is no milky oil or oil in the water the previous owner says the water pump was replaced a year ago and it still looks new.There is also no water coming from the tailpipe.

What is going on ? Why is the water boiling out ?I dont see any other leaks or anything. Please Help me diagnose whats up with this car.I was hoping to drive it lol.Thanks ahead of time for your help
beelertank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 99 Cougar Overheating 2.5 174000 miles

Make sure the cooling fans are kicking in . Could flush cooling system out and bleed same .Maybe a partially blocked radiator .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

A slow heating problem is usually a flow problem. Could be a plugged radiator or not enough flow through the fins.
Old 08-17-2011, 19:58   #4 (permalink)

My Low coolant light is on even when I top it off.as long as I constantly add water this car running perfect lol.Boiling out of tank still.Going to flush rad in the next day or two
beelertank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:39   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Low coolant light could be faulty sensor . You might have to get a block test carried out if other suggested checks dont work out .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 00:28   #6 (permalink)

Maybe the radiator cap isn't holding the correct amount of pressure.
FordMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum