Ford Forums banner

99 Cougar Overheating 2.5 174000 miles

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FordMan59 
#1 ·
I bought a 99 Cougar yesterday. Took it for a test drive and totally looked it over including looking at all the fluids and checking to see if it was running hot or anything. Took for a 30 min test drive with NO PROBLEMS at all.

I buy the car for 1300 it is a sharp looking car well taken care of at least it appeared.

This is what happened .... I have about a 80 mile ride home at about 40 miles into the trip I notice the temp gauge gettn hotter and hotter and finally hits the red so I pull right over let it cool and check water and when it cooled about to the middle I figure lets try it and see what happens....Now it took about 1 minute to get into the red.Im hoping it only the thermstat at this point....I wait for it too cool even longer and it needed watwer this time it seems its boiling out of the filler area.

I drive to advance now it was about 2 minutes away.I buy thermastat and change it in the parking lot.add fluid and start heading home...The car made it home without getting all the way into the red BUT it was sneaking up close a couple of times it was making all kinds of gurgling and the low coolant light came on.I added fluid and thats where im at now.

There is no milky oil or oil in the water the previous owner says the water pump was replaced a year ago and it still looks new.There is also no water coming from the tailpipe.

What is going on ? Why is the water boiling out ?I dont see any other leaks or anything. Please Help me diagnose whats up with this car.I was hoping to drive it lol.Thanks ahead of time for your help

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.