ANOTHER NEW GUY! Need Help ASAP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 13:36   #1 (permalink)

ANOTHER NEW GUY! Need Help ASAP!

Okay so i have a 1995 mercury cougar. 49K miles, V8. Well I had recently been driving and noticed the CEL came on. I was scared, as this is my baby. I went home, and went to my neighbor's and borrowed his code reader. I plugged it in and i got the message. P0174 system too lean(bank 2). Well I was told it was a oxygen sensor, and i have been looking for a while on the internet and so far have had no answers. Well The thing is, i dont know where the o2 sensor is, and im not sure which sensor it is. I know its on bank 2, but isnt there 2 sensors on there?

I also was wondering if it could be a dirty MAF sensor, if so could someone possbily tell me where this is aswell. The car runs fine, there isnt any hesitation or loss of power it feels like.

I did clear the code, as my neighbor had the same problem in his car, and he said that he cleared it and it has never came back. Well I am asking if this seems like a problem. I mean if anyone one has any information for me it would be greatly appreciated, i am also asking if there are any symptoms to having a bad o2 or anything.

I heard it isnt harmful to the car, its just that i will have a slight change in my mpg.

Thanks in advance!
cougarchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 15:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: ANOTHER NEW GUY! Need Help ASAP!

O2 sensors don't go out very often. They just report what's happening to the fuel mixture. There could be a vacuum leak or various other problems associated with that code. You can read some about it here. Cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner is a good idea. I'd start with that and see what comes up on the codes later, if at all. OBD-II Trouble Code: P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)
Old 08-18-2010, 20:17   #3 (permalink)

Okay, do you think it was just a faulty code? Like it isnt a problem, I've looked on that website, and havent really experienced anything as stated. I will do that though, clean the MAF. I'll run it by a well trusted mechanic that lives around here, and see if he thinks the same!

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2010, 20:35   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Let us know what you come up with.
Old 08-18-2010, 22:47   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarchaser View Post
Okay, do you think it was just a faulty code?

Hi cougarchaser!

No
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50   #6 (permalink)

thanks for making me feel better
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48   #7 (permalink)

UPDATE:

Well I went to the well known mechanic that lives around here(his shop is actually right outside of my neighborhood). I explained to him the situation, and he told me the car hasnt been driven enough for oxygen sensors or anything like that to happen. But he says it still possible, the man is so nice, that his gave me a free bottle of Gumout Professional: Complete Fuel System Cleaner. I even was expecting to pay, but he said dont worry about it. But back to his diagnosis, he explained to me that I should put this in my fuel tank and drive around with it for about a week, and if the problem stops then we will know it was something to do with the fuel system, if not then he will check the o2 sensors, as well as, check the MAF sensor. This man is very knowledgeable and I trust his judgement. I explained to him about having a hard start in the morning, its not that hard to start, it just cranks an extra second. So I am hoping that this will solve the problem, as it says it fixes the symptoms that I have noticed.

Although, i would like to ask. P0174 error codes, aren't codes that will cause damage to the car if driven, right? I was told by mechanics/auto zone workers. I would like your insight.

If someone would help me on this though i would greatly appreciate it. Where is the MAF sensor located in a 1995 cougar V8? I dont want to shovel out $35+ for a repair manual
Old 08-19-2010, 13:50   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When the check engine light flashes, that's when it can damage the catalytic convertor. As for the MAF. it's in the top of the air cleaner housing. Here's a video on a different make but similar to doing the job.
How-to Clean Mass Air Flow Sensor on Vimeo
Old 08-19-2010, 16:58   #9 (permalink)

I never had a blinking problem, so i know that i havent had any damage to that. It was just a p0174 error code, which isnt/shouldnt be anything damaging to the car.

As for the video i have actually watched that on before
Old 08-19-2010, 21:35   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
You're welcome. You're right about the O2 sensor. It only tells what's going on. A vacuum leak will show a lean O2 sensor code.
Yes, that could be a possible outcome, although i have yet to experience hissing from the engine. Maybe if that is the case, the vacuum leak isnt big enough to make the noise, but for now I will use the fuel system cleaner, and then see what I can do from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum