Buying a 99 Cougar ,are they relaible ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29   #1 (permalink)
METALHEAD

Buying a 99 Cougar ,are they relaible ?

Hey guys I am buying a 99 Cougar v6 Automatic (Hunter Green) for $2500 ,it has 100kmi I test drove it and it seems tight and well taken care of,and I gotta say what a sharp looking car this is inside and out.Are they reliable ? I am mechanically inclined and do all repairs myself .I have searched for known issues,and it seems I have gotten mixed reviews as with most cars .Any input would be greatly appreciated .
lilredstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 11:29   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Buying a 99 Cougar ,are they relaible ?

Keep up with the regular maintenance schedule and you'll be fine. Regular inspections will also help, which you can do at home if you have good ramps, a lift or a pit.

A lot of owners say a vehicle is unreliable as soon as they have a problem, right down to the lighted mirror on the sunvisor burning out, is sometimes all it takes for them to rate the car a 2 out of 10. Or, another individual will go 15K between oil changes and then suddenly he finds himself in need of a valve job or finding a new engine due to sludge. He'll rate the car 1 out of 10 even though the problem was more than likely his own fault. A lot of people don't look at the full picture when it comes to automotive maintenance and the last person to be put at fault is themselves.

If you have previous maintenance records and everything looks good, you'll have a reliable ride as long as you stick to the maintenance schedule. I recommend running synthetic fluids wherever possible for even better reliability. Congrats on the purchase!

I'm not sure if you have to pay for it but you can check out Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation for recall info or contact a local dealer to make sure everything, including any TSB's have been performed on the vehicle.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 13:31   #3 (permalink)
METALHEAD

Re: Buying a 99 Cougar ,are they relaible ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Keep up with the regular maintenance schedule and you'll be fine. Regular inspections will also help, which you can do at home if you have good ramps, a lift or a pit.

A lot of owners say a vehicle is unreliable as soon as they have a problem, right down to the lighted mirror on the sunvisor burning out, is sometimes all it takes for them to rate the car a 2 out of 10. Or, another individual will go 15K between oil changes and then suddenly he finds himself in need of a valve job or finding a new engine due to sludge. He'll rate the car 1 out of 10 even though the problem was more than likely his own fault. A lot of people don't look at the full picture when it comes to automotive maintenance and the last person to be put at fault is themselves.

If you have previous maintenance records and everything looks good, you'll have a reliable ride as long as you stick to the maintenance schedule. I recommend running synthetic fluids wherever possible for even better reliability. Congrats on the purchase!

I'm not sure if you have to pay for it but you can check out Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation for recall info or contact a local dealer to make sure everything, including any TSB's have been performed on the vehicle.
Thanks for the reply !The car was mechanic owned and maintained very well ,the only modifications it ever had was the stereo system ,it is going to need new rear struts and a front wheel bearing ,the owner said they seemed to start going right around the same time so he parked it and was going to do the work when better weather came ,I saw the car sitting there and made him an offer of 2500 and he took it.I drove it to work today for the first time and I like it ,lots of power for a 2.5 and its clean in and out .I plan to take good care of it ,Im hope it will be good to me .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum