Ford Forums banner

Cheap power adders for 96 cougar 4.6L

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JohnnyBoyHatch 
#1 ·
Howdy everyone. I own a 1996 mercury cougar, 4.6L. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for power-adders that would work on a small budget. Thanks.

#2 ·
Good start would be a decent intake system. Dont use PVC pipe or anything like that but go to your local part store, they will sell a generic kit or you can even put one together out of a few bent sections and what not. Get a cat back exhaust system that's gonna be a good power adder for small $$$ BUT don't just chop off the "cats" because that is an OBD2 car which means there much more sensitive because of the post cat o2 sensors if you cut the cats they will have a higher then normal reading and could make a "check engine" light and you could lose power, and when it comes to an exhaust if you need to save cash don't buy the whole system just go to the exhaust shop and buy some mufflers(flowmaster, Thrush, Magnaflow, whatever you like) and have a new exhaust with bigger pipe made. Another decent idea thats not as much a "power adder" as speed adder would be a better gearing in the rear end not sure of the stock ratio but i'm sure its aimed more at fuel mileage then speed. Upgrading plugs and wires wouldn't hurt either and there not to much. You can upgrade the ignition system even more for better response with some coil packs there about $80 each and you need two. There are many other upgrades but they start costing $$$ and the bigger gains are gonna cost more, If your looking for going faster a gear would be the most felt upgrade(depending on ratio) for the cash. There not much on a 4.6L that really comes cheap there known to be a pricy motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.