Check Engine lite and PC valve - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-17, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

frown Check Engine lite and PC valve

I'm fairly certain that has been spoken on before but can't seem to locate a thread specific to it.

So, The wife's 2001 V-6 Cougar has a PCV problem...according to the codes. Problem is I cant locate the actual Valve. and the FORD part I bought only contains a T...and L, and a few small hoses...no valve.
I traced the PC vacuum hose down to under the intake and with a flashlight an needle-nose pliers pulled the hose off the barb fitting there. NO VALVE! I replaced that hose,..all the little fittings that came with the New Valve Part. I also removed the T-Body and EGR Valve and Tube for cleaning just to be in good measure and hoped it would clear the code.......no such luck.
So the Check-Engine lite stays on...the code they claim still says PCV problems.

Well I am sure I'm not the only person to have a Cougar related PC valve problem on a Cougar with an apparent non-existing PC valve .
At this point I just want the Check-Engine lite out and the code erased. Yes I have disconnected the battery for reset.

Would be much obliged if anyone could help me here. Thanx

First your Money then your Clothes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-17, 03:33 AM
Moderators

Re: Check Engine lite and PC valve

Checked this ? especially post #7

FYI for 01/02 2.5 Duratec owners replacing PCV valves.

Never, never, never give up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-17, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Logan. I will go back and double check.......let you know what I find.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-17, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Ok,...Local Parts store had the Standard Motor Products PCV set for the Merc Mystique....looks the same as the kit I had picked up labeled for a Ford Focus...Identical. (just did that back in early March)

I take it all apart....all the way down to each valve cover and start from there. The rubber boots at the valve co's were in good shape and not torn...check!
the plastic tube connected to the front cyl bank rubber boot was cleaned and reattached to the hose with a tight seal...check!
the tube and hose going to the rubber boot at the rear cyl. bank,,same...cleaned and checked for integrity. check!
the line going to the Tree under the Intake...same...check!
The Three-way and L-bow fittings, under the Throttle body, that connect it all into one unit were replaced again...this time I used small hose clamps at each junction to insure a good seal.....check!

So what I have done in essence here is rebuilt the PCV system, twice in about 1 months time but the problem returns and the check engine light comes back on within just a few miles driven.
.................................................................................................... .......

Since there is NO said "valve" in the system, and all external hardware has been replaced,...I'm starting to believe that maybe the computer is not clearing the memory in RAM or ROM (whichever) when the battery is disconnected.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Dazed and Confused

If the code is coming back, it's an active diagnostic. If the CEL remained on, you may have to clear it, but it should clear itself after a certain number of cycles. What specifically is the code?

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum