Cougar 2001 / AC and alternator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 09:55   #1 (permalink)

Cougar 2001 / AC and alternator

I have two problem and I don't know if they are related:

the AC sometimes does not work, the electrical clutch for the compressor does not engage. I have noticed a number of times that when this happens, either the battery is low because of defective alternator not charging the battery or the battery indicator comming on in the dash. The alternator has been chabged about a year ago (it was the original), then again 2 months ago (the bearings went) and then again 2 weeks ago. the battery indicator still comes on when I start the car but very fainted and then dissapears after a while. usually this happens at night after beineg parked all day. Maybe it also occurs when I start it in the morning, but the indicator is too low to be seen during the day.

Thanks for any help you can provide
vulcanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Re: Cougar 2001 / AC and alternator

I don't know if they are related either but you have to start somewhere! Since the alternator is more necessary than the ac, I recommend starting there.

Have you checked and/or replaced the fuse for the alternator? It is located on the right engine bank between the head and firewall. It is very hard to see and feel. It is in a black plastic box that may have tape on it. The fuse is held in place with 10mm or 13mm nuts.

Double check you wiring to the alternator as it is very tight. Maybe taking it in and out has caused the wire harness to be strained. Double check all of the battery grounds.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:19   #3 (permalink)

Update:

The AC problem does not seem to be directly linked to the alternator problem.

When the ALT light goes on at starting the engine it is very dim (can only be seen at dark) and goes away after 5 minutes. When it is on but dim, if I put extra load on the ALT such as turning AC on or using power widows, then the light gets somewhat brighter. Sometimes (soon after starting the engine) doing this will turn the battery light on (always very dim) but it will not happen if I drove the car for a while.

I quickly checked the connections between the ALT and battery and every thing seems fine.

When I check the engine codes, it tells me that the ALT is charging between 10 and 11 amps.

What can cause the dash light to turn on this way and is can this damage the ALT.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:32   #4 (permalink)

usually i would say the diodes are the problem, but since you already bought a second alternator i think youre problem could be youre drive belt is to lose or the batery feed is corroded
JorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:27   #5 (permalink)

The problem has finally been fixed. A new better quality was installed and everything works fine now.

Thanks to all for your help
Old 01-15-2010, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thank you for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum