couple of 74 XR7 Q's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 21:30   #1 (permalink)

couple of 74 XR7 Q's

Or maybe just one Q to start...I'm obtaining a 74 XR7, 400ci 4-v auto, in pretty good shape, but in need of some shadetree TLC. So I'll be replacing the master cylinder, all the usual tune-up parts including plug wires and stuff, new shocks and I need to look at the suspension bushings, etc. It has cheap ugly steel "mag" wheels (the 10-spoke kind) and I want to replace 'em with Cragar 5-spoke chrome mags and BFG Radial T/As, just like when I was a kid in the 70s. Does anybody know the proper bolt circle/offset for the 74 XR7? I think I'd like to go with 8" rims all around...

Okay, a second Q. What's the recommended way of lowering it all around, like an inch or 2? If it's lowered that much, will stock-size KYG shocks work, or will I need some wierd size?
Green74XR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 06:26   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Re: couple of 74 XR7 Q's

I'm pretty sure your bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5" - this is pretty standard across the board with Fords. Not as sure about the offset, but it's probably around 1/2" to 3/4".

For a small amount of lowering, I'd go with blocks in the rear and cutting the front springs with a cut-off wheel. I wouldn't cut more than a single loop off the coils however.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum