Ford Cougar V6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 11:54   #1 (permalink)

Ford Cougar V6

I have a 1999 2.5 V6 Ford Cougar with a problem.
It is hesitant and 'stuttering' on acceleration and deceleration between 2-3500 revs. It seems to be at the same point of acceleration and deceleration that the 'stuttering' occurs. It has been into a Ford dealership twice for repair. Both times unsuccessful. The first time they found an "egr system fault - found pipe weak and dpfe sensor faulty. Replaced sensor, retested all OK". Same problem still occurred, so took car back. Second time they changed three spark plugs and said that all the electrical plugs under the bonnet had been covered with the wrong grease. Advised us to clean off grease with brake cleaner and re-apply electrical contact grease, which we have yet to do. Think that Ford don't have a clue - would be grateful for any suggestions.
s_gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2004, 12:46   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Ford Cougar V6

Some known issues that you may want to look into. Each of these can be the root cause of your problem. This will be long and I apologise, but I hope it helps.

The Fuel Pump - Ford had a Recall on this - seee below. A failing fuel PUMP gives bogging at anything more than about half throttle. As it fails, the pump cannot keep up with demand past 50%, the engine goes lean, and will cause the issues you are describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECALL INFORMATION
EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM 04N02

Certain 1999 through 2002 Model Year Cougar Vehicles - Fuel Delivery Module

This program extends the coverage of the fuel delivery module (FDM) to 10 years from the original warranty start date of the vehicle, with no limit on the number of miles that the vehicle has been driven. This program provides replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 1999 through 2002 model year Cougar vehicles built at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant from Job #1, 1999 through November 30, 2001. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.

REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may experience engine hesitation, loss of power, surging, and other similar symptoms as a result of contamination of the fuel pump. Because the contamination of the fuel pump is progressive, it may ultimately become sufficiently blocked to cause the engine to stall completely. Although the symptoms noted above can occur under a variety of driving conditions, they are most likely to occur when there is less than one-quarter tank of fuel and/or when the driver is attempting to accelerate while making a turning maneuver (such as entering a highway through a cloverleaf) or while driving uphill.

SERVICE ACTION

If the customer informs you that their vehicle exhibits stalling, engine hesitation, loss of power, surging, or other similar symptoms, replace the FDM. There is no need for further diagnostics prior to FDM replacement. Owners are not to be charged for any diagnostics or repairs related to the FDM replacement.

Prior to performing service, tell the customer:

Ford will replace the FDM at no cost based upon the customer's description of the condition without performing any diagnostics.
That without performing diagnostics other conditions that may affect driveability, if any, would not be addressed by an FDM replacement.
That diagnosis and correction of any remaining driveability issues, if any, are the responsibility of the customer unless the vehicle still has remaining Basic Vehicle Warranty coverage.
That after FDM replacement, a road test will be conducted at no charge to determine if the driveability concern has been corrected.
This Customer Satisfaction program only covers replacement of the FDM.
Please note: It is not necessary to replace the in-line fuel filter due to this issue. Fuel filters should continue to be replaced at normal maintenance scheduled intervals.

Also note, the "some vehicles" means late 99-02 Cougars. The early builds with the return fuel system is not covered....but don't worry, those fuel pumps are not the ones failing.

Understand that the newly designed fuel pump will be available in late June. Be sure to schedule an appointment when this pump becomes available or else you will eventually be in the same situation again.

UPDATE:

The new fuel pump is now available. Ford part number XS2Z-9H307-CA. Please be sure to get the update part installed.
According to Ford:

1. New pumps exist now but they are backordered.
2. Dealers can install a temporary pump for cars with real bad problems. Later, new pumps can be installed.
3. All this is covered under warranty. No mileage limit or time limit. Even if you're not the original owner.

-------------------------

Dielectric - You will need to have the dielectric grease on the plugs. If not you will damage the plugs and possibly boots. If the dealer has put the wrong grease on it they should be responsible to replace with the correct grease. Using the wrong grease will also cause issues and possible damage.

DPFE - If you are getting a CEL code "EGR flow insufficient" then replacing the DPFE will usually fix this problem. You will experience bucking, hesitation and stuttering under heavy loads or heavy acceleration.

Hope that this is of some help.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:21   #3 (permalink)

The fuel pump recall depends on whether his Cougar is a return or returnless fuel system. The fuel pump recall only applies to returnless Cougars.

Adrian.
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 13:56   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Yes I am aware of that, with the little information provided this is all we can give him at this time.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 15:49   #5 (permalink)

Question Re: Ford Cougar V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
Some known issues that you may want to look into. Each of these can be the root cause of your problem. This will be long and I apologise, but I hope it helps.

The Fuel Pump - Ford had a Recall on this - seee below. A failing fuel PUMP gives bogging at anything more than about half throttle. As it fails, the pump cannot keep up with demand past 50%, the engine goes lean, and will cause the issues you are describing.

According to Ford:

2. Dealers can install a temporary pump for cars with real bad problems. Later, new pumps can be installed.
3. All this is covered under warranty. No mileage limit or time limit. Even if you're not the original owner.

Dielectric - You will need to have the dielectric grease on the plugs. If not you will damage the plugs and possibly boots. If the dealer has put the wrong grease on it they should be responsible to replace with the correct grease. Using the wrong grease will also cause issues and possible damage.

DPFE - If you are getting a CEL code "EGR flow insufficient" then replacing the DPFE will usually fix this problem. You will experience bucking, hesitation and stuttering under heavy loads or heavy acceleration.

I have a 2002 V6 2.5L MTX Cougar that is experiencing the same hesitation under accel. This mainly occurs in higher RPMs through only 3RD though I have felt in all gears. My car has been in the shop three times now:
1ST - Fuel Sending Unit replaced
2ND - CEL (EGR Excessive Flow) EGR Replaced
3RD - CEL (EGR Excessive Flow) Pressure Sensor Replaced

Should I take it back and tell them to replace my DPFE (or should I do it myself)? Any help here would be greatly appreciated
BlackCatOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41   #6 (permalink)

I Need Help On A Mercury Cougar 1999.the Car Dont Start And They Say To Me That The Problem Is The Fuel Pump Driver Module Because It Is Immobilizer Also!!anyone Knowes Anything About It!!!thanks!!
JOHNY2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 15:21   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT View Post

According to Ford:

Hi I am in the UK and having the same problem. I bought a 51 plate manual Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 CVJ two weeks ago. The car loses power badly when the petrol gauge reaches below a 1/4 of a tank. Even with my foot to the floor it just crawls and is now cutting out which has resulted in an accidenet and bumper damage. The Ford Dealers state they have no issues for the car. Can you or anyone confirm if this recall and extended warrenty applys to US cars only or if it is a world wide issue and applys to Cougar owners in the UK also as my cars fault is identical to those you've stated.
Regards
baron1ford
baron1ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 17:19   #8 (permalink)

I have exactly the same problem. Something seems to be wrong with the fuel level sensor & engine management... Ford service is asking for A$1000+ to replace some electronics, without knowing where the problem is. It gets worse in cold weather.
At this stage I never drive with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel and carry a jerry can when going on long trips. As soon as you top-up the tank the engine goes back to normal...
Let me know if there are smarter solutions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1ford View Post
Hi I am in the UK and having the same problem. I bought a 51 plate manual Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 CVJ two weeks ago. The car loses power badly when the petrol gauge reaches below a 1/4 of a tank. Even with my foot to the floor it just crawls and is now cutting out which has resulted in an accidenet and bumper damage. The Ford Dealers state they have no issues for the car. Can you or anyone confirm if this recall and extended warrenty applys to US cars only or if it is a world wide issue and applys to Cougar owners in the UK also as my cars fault is identical to those you've stated.
Regards
baron1ford
Berroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 18:09   #9 (permalink)
Crystal

Hi I am in Australia and wondering if the warranty mentioned in the recall applies here as well? I have a 2001 ford cougar auto 2.5L with the same problem-the stuttering and terrible surging! I have been towed 3 times in 2 months and my mechanic can not source the problem-first thought to be the fuel pump and then the fuel injection? Replacing both have not fixed the problem at all-the car will go for about 100km before surging dangerously-and it doesnt matter if my tank is full or low??? My car has been in the shop for about 2 months and im going crrrrazy??? pleeeeas help!
Crystal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 17:00   #10 (permalink)

If the car is starting to sputter under acceleration it most likely is your plugs and wires.
EMC 3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum