Ford Forums banner

fuel pressure?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bigblockdon 
#1 ·
I now own a 94 cougar with a 4.6l 2v. much differnet than a 78 bronco. The problem i am having is i am running lean. Its throwing the code and my plugs are chalky white. My fuel pressure on the rail is about 30 psi. Would it be my fuel pump? pressure regulator? i need help i don't want to burn holes through the top of my pistons any ideas?

#6 ·
camshaft position sensor :p0340
Exhaust gas recirculation not detected :p1407
Bank 2 system too lean :p0174
i do not know why it doesn't have a code for bank 1 as well because it had it listed before. another thought is that my cats blew apart and clogged themselves down stream of the exhaust system. would that mess up anything?

#7 ·
Some times the Silicone hoses going to the PFE sensor will clog up or burn thru. Plus these early systems were very bad on the Mass Air Sensor going bad and not setting any codes.Also these engines are very bad for the EGR port on the throttle body to plug up with carbon. you have to remove the throttle body and clean the port on the intake side out with a pick or small screwdriver.It is a pain to do but that might just be the issue

#8 ·
+1 to that. I had those pesky EGR channels cleaned out twice on my Town Car. If I recall correctly, the cam position sensor should be located on the upper driver's side corner of the front cover on the engine. I think there is just an electrical connector and one bolt securing it.

#9 ·
ok so a quick fix to the cat. converter probrlem was i cut holes in the exhaust between the downstream o2 sensors and the third or main cat. made the car run again its as loud as a stock car but now i have no lean code especially with the cold winter air. i still have the code for the c.p.s. the egr and the speed sensor (which i find almost irrelevant) the egr i can understand for i have redirected the exhaust before the emission piping but the c.p.s. still makes me edgy. what do you gentlemen think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.