Miles to reset the computer? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30   #1 (permalink)

roll Miles to reset the computer?

I changed my battery about 3 months ago and put at least several hundred miles on the thing, 1999 V6/AT Cougar. I cleared the codes this morning and drove 28.3 miles and then had it inspected, without turning the car off. This has worked in the past but I was surprised to learn the the guy who did the inspection said that I should drive another 50 miles before he could pass the car. So my question is, how far does the car have to go before it shows the tech what he needs to see when he scans the computer after a battery disconnect?
shultzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 08:54   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Miles to reset the computer?

I don't know what the drive cycles are, but it is not so much as how many miles, but a combo of drive cycles. If your car resets a CEL every time you turn it off and start it back up, then you need to fix the problem first. You can't cheat the machines anymore.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:24   #3 (permalink)

mad Re: Miles to reset the computer?

I have been doing this for the past 3 years and it has worked. "cheating the machines" is my line of work since I am a computer person and I am the last guy they call to get things done or problems solved (because no one else can figure it out). I understand that once you turn off the engine after you have done a clear code causes the computer to throw a code if there is anything wrong. The car has been throwing a code that is expensive to fix, thus the subtrafuge. If it throws a code before I have it reinspected, it won't pass.
I'm off to do the 50 miles and then see what happens.
later,
charles.....
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Well if you are such a computer guru, you should be able to cheat the cars OBD also. Good luck with the extra 50 miles. It seems that the inspector is willing to take on a hefty fine and have the shop lose their license too.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 18:23   #5 (permalink)

roll Re: Miles to reset the computer?

continuing saga.

50 miles didn't reset the computer. appearently there are two parts to the computer that are involved in the inspection process 1: the part that receives and stores the error codes and 2: the part of the computer that tries to read sensors and fails (because the car hasn't been driven far enough). #2 failed on 3 items. I was afraid of the codes coming from #1 which passed. back to the mechanic and he said "keep driving it". 8 miles later it threw a type 1 error code for the egr valve which I will replace in the morning and start this stupid process all over. I don't advocate law breaking I just want to present the car to the inspector in its' most favorable light.

later.....

ps. I have thought about studying the obd but I also assume the designers have included "anti tampering" features.
Old 12-01-2010, 19:29   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Generic OBD II "Drive Cycle"
Most OBD II ("On-Board Diagnostics II") diagnostic monitors will run at some time during normal operation of the vehicle.
However, to satisy all of the different Trip enable criteria and run all of the OBD II diagnostic monitors, the vehicle must be driven under a variety of conditions. The following drive cycle will (theoretically) allow all monitors to run on (??) vehicle. (Note: Drive cycle specifics vary by vehicle!)
1.Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
2.Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
3.Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
4.Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
5.Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
6.Decelerate with using the brake [or the clutch!] by coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.

More here.
Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum