My 83 Mercury Cougar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:51   #1 (permalink)

Smile My 83 Mercury Cougar

I have a couple other post on this car. Im not going to list everything about the car 302 edelbrock intake & 4 barrel car. 12.1 ratio rockers. bored .30 over and a bunch of other stuff. headers dual exaust. electric fuel pump. It has 5xxxmiles on it since it was rebuilt. The interior is super clean and has a new headliner.

I bought it from the originals owners son. They did the motor swap and had it rebuilt.

I know its not a show car but for $175.00 and brand new battery, and sylonoid. Its worth it.

The main things that need replaced is the starter and front brakes. Im currently trying to find out what starters from other motors will fit on it. Its a 302 from a 1978 thunderbird.

Well any suggestions and what do you guys think??

83 merccougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 12:55   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: My 83 Mercury Cougar

As far as I know, 302 starters are all universal. From the late 60's to 90's. All were positive engagement starters. You can even upgrade to the later gear reduction solenoid starter. Just find a Mustang parts dealer that sell the upgrade starter kit.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:04   #3 (permalink)

Re: My 83 Mercury Cougar

i was told only certain starters will fit. i went to advance auto parts.com Ford a 1978 302 starter is 39.99, but for a 1984 302 starter its 84.00 but they have the same part number. im so confused
83 merccougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: My 83 Mercury Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83 merccougar View Post
i was told only certain starters will fit. i went to advance auto parts.com Ford a 1978 302 starter is 39.99, but for a 1984 302 starter its 84.00 but they have the same part number. im so confused
Hmmm... I see your point, both on Advance's and Napa's site. It depends on which flywheel they used when they did the swap. The 78 302 or the 83 302. From the Napa desription for the 83, it mentions a 10 tooth starter drive. Sooo... take the starter out, bring it to the parts store, tell them you have an 83 Cougar with a 78 T-Bird 302 in it, and you don't know which starter will fit. As long as they stock both starters, you can compare your old one with the new ones. Compare the mounting tabs, the cover location, and the tooth count on the starter drive. Whichever one is a match is what you will buy.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum