Ford Forums banner

My 83 Mercury Cougar

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
I have a couple other post on this car. Im not going to list everything about the car 302 edelbrock intake & 4 barrel car. 12.1 ratio rockers. bored .30 over and a bunch of other stuff. headers dual exaust. electric fuel pump. It has 5xxxmiles on it since it was rebuilt. The interior is super clean and has a new headliner.

I bought it from the originals owners son. They did the motor swap and had it rebuilt.

I know its not a show car but for $175.00 and brand new battery, and sylonoid. Its worth it.

The main things that need replaced is the starter and front brakes. Im currently trying to find out what starters from other motors will fit on it. Its a 302 from a 1978 thunderbird.

Well any suggestions and what do you guys think??

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as I know, 302 starters are all universal. From the late 60's to 90's. All were positive engagement starters. You can even upgrade to the later gear reduction solenoid starter. Just find a Mustang parts dealer that sell the upgrade starter kit.

#4 ·
Hmmm... I see your point, both on Advance's and Napa's site. It depends on which flywheel they used when they did the swap. The 78 302 or the 83 302. From the Napa desription for the 83, it mentions a 10 tooth starter drive. Sooo... take the starter out, bring it to the parts store, tell them you have an 83 Cougar with a 78 T-Bird 302 in it, and you don't know which starter will fit. As long as they stock both starters, you can compare your old one with the new ones. Compare the mounting tabs, the cover location, and the tooth count on the starter drive. Whichever one is a match is what you will buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.