My run with a V6 Cougar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2001, 22:18   #1 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

Thumbs up My run with a V6 Cougar

For the record, I have a modded PGT with an ATX :rolleyes: wich is horrible off the line.........but anyways, on with the story.

Well, after looking for and failing to find a club out in the valley that was open last thursday, my friend and I began to drive back into town. Cruising along Sprague....Just passing the House Of Hose (that is such a cool place ) I notice a set of headlight trying to catch up. Well, because of road conditions (it was all torn up for a bit) it took him a while to catch up. The other traffic dissappears totally and finally he is next to me...Beautiful 00 Cougar, dualed exhaust 5 speed...dunno what else but it was well taken care of so *assuming* I/H as well. We are cruising a bit over the posted speedlimit-aboot 35 mph or so, and he blips the throttle and jumps ahead a bit. First time I didn't bite...My passenger and I were debating the finer points of autocrossig a 66 Corvair. The second time however, he got my full attention. I inch up next to him and then BAM! We both floor it! He starts off with aboot a half car lead, and I pull up side by side through 2nd. Shift to third...the IAT actually chirped the tires! We stay even well through 3rd...We finally shut down just over 100mph. Back down to the speed limit and all aboot the while no sooner, just over a little rise in the road....a police cruiser....that stops and turns around. We had a $5 bet on who he'd pull over first, but alas, it never happened. Again with another and a laugh aboot our good luck, and we were both on our seperate ways. Ahhh.....what a good night.

Note: I never ever race on a street that has any traffic on it. It was just the two of us on a wide, well lit 3 lane road at that point. It was as safe as a street race could possibly be...so don't ***** at me aboot high speeds on surface streets. Thank you.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2001, 16:50   #2 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

Sounds like fun!!
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

It was a blast....i recommend it to everyone! :D
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:23   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

that sounds unreal but i find it hard that your tyres chirped going into third gear cougars aint that fastsorry buddy
johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 10:24   #5 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

He may have had a bottle of NOS, but Trey said the guy he was racing chirped his tires and he doen't drive a Cougar and it wasn't me that he was racing. I can chirp my tires in first and second but never have in third and it would be hard. Of course a bottle would make it fairly easy..

Or he may have had a vortech super charger. I don't think you read the post right. Also, I don't know what the after market parts are like in Aust. but here they are a plenty!:s6:
Old 01-24-2002, 15:03   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Wink

sorry if i misunderstod your post poss he was running a superchager. here in Australia there are no after market go fast parts for Cougars. This is there major shortfall they are a little underpowered but their chassis are great>what part are available in the states. Sorry again for the misunderstanding
regards
JOhn
Old 01-24-2002, 17:52   #7 (permalink)

fun read guys. I have an '01 Cougar MT and would love to hear about "go fast" options. Know any that make economical sense?
hwy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 18:10   #8 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

Well, I am assuming that that guy had a supercharger or something to chirp the tires in third. Hope I didn't come on to strong.

Hwy 74,
For about $250.00 you can put on an induction kit. I like KKM induction kits the best and they run about $99, and a cat back dual exhaust. I have one that is called a Yodude and runs about $140 and sounds pretty close to a Mustang. About as close as a V6 can. Here are some links! There is a national meet in TN this July!

Customcougar parts

Parts page

Cougarfest

Feel free to email me or post messages here. I am on here about once a day.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:06   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Hi again guys
I have tried an exhaust system on the cougar it did make a small difference but still unhappy with its performance it seems it wants to go but just feels doey if you know what i mean
Old 01-25-2002, 10:33   #10 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

Well, If you have opened up the exhaust then you want to work on the intake. Inexpensive KKM will make a difference. Did you just go to a shop and have them make the exhaust or did you use a name brand? You could also buy SVT Upper and Lower manifold. The performance mod that will give you the most return on the dollar are the MSDS headers on the parts page I listed. I already had a KKM intake on mine but when I added the Yodude exhaust with a dynomax muffler it made a conciderable difference. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum