Mystery fluid leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 21:22   #1 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

Mystery fluid leak

Hey,
I am trying to figure out what fulid has leaked over my cat. converter. Here are some pics. It appears there is a tube the runs out of the fire wall from the inside. Just below the heater hoses (which have no leak). I have eliminated engine coolant, oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid and have a feeling it might be transmission fluid. Does the five speed have an overflow tube? How do you check the fluid for the five speed. It would be the same as a Contour or Mondero. Any ideas? The fluid is green in color and like oil but has a funky smell. My car uses the red-orange antifreeze, so it isn't coolant. If you look at the pics. The first is of the cat. Then other's have an arrow pointing to the tube which is right under the heater hoses and right above the hydralic shifter hoses.

Pictures
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 12:29   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Mystery fluid leak

bob you are missing your pictures.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:50   #3 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

Try again. I think there was a yahoo problem. I have determined that it is compressor fulid. I think it is really going to be a pain because the leak is probably behind the dash. Anyone know where to get a Ford tool to remove the radio cheap? I have the 6cd in dash, same as the Contour, and Focus.
Old 07-31-2004, 13:19   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Is your radio the one that has the 2 holes on each side? If it is then you dont need a tool to remove that. You can get two paperclips and bend them to depress the pins internally and then slid out. I have done that a few times with other ford models.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 13:33   #5 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

Yeap! That is the kind I have. Still haven't decided if I am going to work on it myself. It would give me the chance to switch out my gauges for ones with a yellow and red line! Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum