need info !! help with cougar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2004, 15:02   #1 (permalink)

mad need info !! help with cougar

i have a 2000 cougar 2.5 im haveing a problem that the garage cant figure out and hoping someone will know what or how to fix. when i go out to start my car it will start but then it will run for a couple of seconds then quit .as long as i hold the gas down it will remain running but let up on gas it stops running .sometines i can do this several times and it will run for about a week then do it agian .it does it when its cold and hot outside i can not figure this out and when i run a code test it shows no codes has anyone had this kind of problem i keep replacing stuff that isnt fixing it. one time it did it and it wouldnt run for 2 days then after day2 i tried to start it and it started and ran for a week and did it again. help !!!
fordman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 04:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: need info !! help with cougar

As much as I'd like to help you with your problem I can't. Give this site a try heaps of info you can search through.

http://www.fastcougar.com/

Cheers
ProfessorSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:30   #3 (permalink)
what u lookin at

i wouldnt really know exactly whats ur problem, but ill throw up a few ideas anyway - idle control solenoid? if thats what they are called, what have u replaced so far?
i really wouldnt have a clue, take it to a ford dealer maybe they should be able to figure it out
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:13   #4 (permalink)

thanks i have changed crank shaft sensor ,throttle postion senser ,egr valve ,cam shaft sensor,starter,battery,alternator,fuel pump,and still doesnt work the ford garage are the ones they cant figure it out
fordman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:06   #5 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

I believe the problem is eletrical. Fuse box or relays
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:45   #6 (permalink)

Don't know if you found what your problem is, but my son has a 2000 Cougar he was having similar problems with. In addition to not starting, when he did get it started, he'd drive a little ways and it would stall, then not start. Had to have it towed a couple of times.

It took the Ford dealer forever to figure it out. The problem was the fuel filter. It wasn't the manufactor's. Once they replaced it with the manufactor's fuel filter, he hasn't had any problems with it since. That was about 2 years ago.
mom9721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 22:52   #7 (permalink)
NECO Recruiter

Try getting a fuel pump recall. It's free. (I've had it done)

Also, check out newcougar.org. FastCougar.com is no more, NewCougar.org is the updated site.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum