PLEASE HELP MY 2001 COUGARD DIES ...:( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59   #1 (permalink)

PLEASE HELP MY 2001 COUGARD DIES ...:(

Hi, I am looking for some help for my new bought cougar.

First of all when I bought a car all seems to run o maybe bit slow but ok, I just thought i need a good clean /egr/throttle body whole fuel system etc...

It did pull ok up to 3 rpm(rev) then its depends on which gear it was wanted to rev it higher and I coudnt.

2nd gear max 40mph
5th gear max 90 mph

I started do some reserch about this fould and it came with common problem IRMC

Next day I decided to clean throttle body with ome carb cleaner, change air filter and see if this IRMC works. And it seems to work (start working) becouse when it starded opening second velve sudenly was loosing revs...

Next day it started strugling getin up to 3000 revs... troubles going uphills...

Today totaly lost power ,I cant make it go faster than 23 mph!!! downhills max 45!!! on 5 gear.

Another Issue is whe I keeps my foot on accelerate pedal constantly at the same rev on 2,3,4,th gear and suddenly take the foot off then can hear some bang from boot area (under) silencer? it sounds like the preasure of realising smoke/emision/ through exhourst has sucking back and makind some strange noice (bang) like ball bouncing back? or like I had some ball in boot and it was hiting during braking (realeasing foot from accelerate) , it doesnt happened whetn you actually use brakes!

The garge did test on emmision they are ok, cat conv is a bit doggy and noisy but they said that its not jam-packed do couse this symptoms.

The computer shows: code p2004 : intake manifold runner control solenoid error

They didnt have much time and the couldnt localizate it where is this sensor - wanted to check resistance.

Now I am worried to even try to use car. after starting up Iddling is variable from 0.5 to 1.2 rev? and it sattles after while.

if its the box why car is loosing more and more power every day? I read that even if this box got some problems it should works fine without secondaries opening. Whats this banging sound? I was told even in one garage to do not run this car coz i could melted mistons? Please can you say what it might be?

Ps. sory for my english
mixMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 08:19   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: PLEASE HELP MY 2001 COUGARD DIES ...:(

Sure you've not got an exhaust / cat convertor fault ? Also sounds like car going into limp home mode .
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:04   #3 (permalink)

well, I am not a mechanic so I cant say that I am 100% sure.

Garage said that if it had MOT cat would mas. Emisions were fine...

I forgot to mention there is no warning lights on dashboard.

any other thoughts?

Thanks.
mixMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:12   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

If " cat conv is a bit doggy and noisy " it may be causing blockage restricting exhaust flow .
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum