The power door locks fuse keeps blowing for a 2000 Mercury Cougar any ideas? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41   #1 (permalink)

The power door locks fuse keeps blowing for a 2000 Mercury Cougar any ideas?

I know it is the yellow 20 amp fuse, but less than one minutes I replace a new one, it is blown again...I think there maybe short-cut somewhere, but where would be?I checked the door hinge area seems all good....

Thank you for everyone if you know or it happened to you....
cougar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 19:39   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: The power door locks fuse keeps blowing for a 2000 Mercury Cougar any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar88 View Post

I know it is the yellow 20 amp fuse, but less than one minutes I replace a new one, it is blown again...I think there maybe short-cut somewhere, but where would be?I checked the door hinge area seems all good....

Thank you for everyone if you know or it happened to you....

The fuse you are talking about is F25 in the diagram, which feeds the Anti-Theft/Central Locking Module... but it also feeds the Gearshift Lever Unit if an automatic. Start by getting a resetable circuit breaker that fits in the fuse slot. Disconnect the Lock Module. It is behind the glove box. 3 connectors. Now see if the breaker trips. If it does, disconnect the shifter. Reset the breaker. If it still trips then there is a short to ground somewhere in that circuit, you'll have to find it. Now if the breaker didn't trip after disconnecting the lock module, then most likely you have a bad lock module. If the breaker still trips after disconnecting the lock module, but doesn't after disconnecting the shifter then you most likely have a bad shifter.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 13:12   #3 (permalink)

Re: The power door locks fuse keeps blowing for a 2000 Mercury Cougar any ideas?

Thank you very much for the detail explanation, I guess I am not good enough fix myself. and the dealership is asking too much to just looking for the problem, no worth for such an old car.

Just one more question, since the car seems running quite well, except I hear a click sound from the gear shift lever whenever I apply the brake. is it safe to still drive the car without fix this fuse problem?
Old 11-22-2010, 14:01   #4 (permalink)

Re: The power door locks fuse keeps blowing for a 2000 Mercury Cougar any ideas?

One more question: Is the Gearshift Lever Unit the same as Gearshift Lever?

I just check my manual, there is table in it called "Passenger compartment fuse panel" it reads there is a blue 15amp fuse for gearshift lever and turn signal lamps etc. and for the 20amp fuse, it only list : alarm system, locking system.
Old 11-22-2010, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

The click you hear is probably the solenoid that releases the gear selector so you can remove it from park. It will click when you press the brake pedal when you are in park.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:58   #6 (permalink)

problem solved....I just replace the fuse with a bigger one (30A) instead of original 20A. ...then everything works fine.

I notice whenever I open/lock the driver side door the flashing light on the dash will dim for a second....other than that...every is ok.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That puts a stress on the wiring and can melt the wires. There has to be an exessive draw somewhere.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45   #8 (permalink)

I was concerned the same excessive draw as well.....then I noticed the dim only happen one second when I use the power door lock. So I assume as long as the excessive draw is not consistent ....should not cause any over-heat wiring...

Please correct me if I am wrong...thank you!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It may not have a probem but I never like to mess with the engineers design. What you have is probably one of the actuators in a bind or wearing out.
Old 11-01-2011, 17:17   #10 (permalink)

I had the exact same problem with the 20 amp fuse blowing. I own a 2000 Mercury Cougar with 123k miles. I replaced the fuse with a 30 amp and was able to get the Alarm/Power door lock to work for only the driver door. The passenger door was silent.
I took the passenger door apart to see what i could do inside. I could not do much but look inside and see. I did take a can of multipurpose spray lube and lube the latch. I worked the latch many times with a screwdriver to simulate the door opening and closing. I tried the power door button on the passenger door panel and I heard the actuator come to life inside the passenger door. I put the door back together. Now both doors lock and unlock with the power door button on either door. Interesting fact I discovered is if you unlock the driver door with key, only driver door is unlocked. If you use key to unlock the passenger door, both doors are unlocked . I needed to fix this door as I was not able to lock it with the key.
plshep3666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum