Problem With Tranny?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Mercury Cougar Forum Forum for discussion of the Mercury Cougar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 06:52   #1 (permalink)

Problem With Tranny??

Does anyone know anything that goes wrong with these transmissions in th 95 Cougar....i get a vibration with shifts into overdrive under 2000rpm...under acceleration.....then goes away....feels like torque converter is confused? Aren't these electronically shifted?
Cougar4.6L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 10:07   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Problem With Tranny??

Many things can go wrong with the auto trannys. From TC to solenoids to even low fluid.

Is the vib under shift only or during accel?
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 17:26   #3 (permalink)

I also have a 1995 cougar 3.8 V6 and it felt to me that the torque converter was failing. also I have to have the shifter inbetween D and N to get into drive. its like the linkage was misaligned or something, I just bought this car with 74,000 miles and I am having the tranny flushed and filter right now. if that doesn't solve prob I'm going to try to find a whole 5.0 engine/trans to put in it. please post your findings with this prob. Thanks! also anyone know of a good remanufacturer/rebuilder of engines for replacement motor/tranny swaps?
shelbyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11   #4 (permalink)

I had my AODE rebuilt and it was doing the same thing, it ended up just being worn out. Everything needed replaced
1994Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:27   #5 (permalink)

Ive had this shake with my transmission shifting in overdrive ever since I bought my car. Its a 1994 cougar, and still does it today. I meet a man who had the same year in a Ford, had the same problem, he replaced his transmission and it still did it. figure!
susanbee48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:23   #6 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my '95 Cougar 4.6, except that's it's not just overdrive, but all of the gears. It feels like the whole car is shuddering for a few seconds. If I left off the gas a little, it goes away. It never happens if I'm accelerating fast enough. I've had several people tell me I just needed my transmission filter changed, but I haven't had the chance to do that yet.
taeratrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 16:13   #7 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Hey, i have basiclly the same car (motor wise that is) with the same problem. Changed the filter and it went away. My tranny came off of a cougar.
Old 03-23-2010, 16:54   #8 (permalink)

i think i have a similar problem except i have a 2000 v6 Cougar
basically the o/d light started flashing and it would shift hard...took it to a transmission shop and it coded for torque converter failure and solenoid valve so i replaced the solenoid valve and it continues to do the same thing...

both the transmission shop and ford thought it wasn't the torque converter
so i had ford run a diagnostic again (3 months after replacing the solenoid valve) and it coded for the torque converter but the code was a different number??
now ford says they're positive it's the torque converter but i doubt it...
does anyone have a solution?? or has anyone had a similar problem?

the o/d light and check engine light came on and it started the hard shifting right at 50,000 miles i dont know if that says anything
missy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Mercury Cougar Forum